Message 1 of 10

FTTP

Hello I moved into my new build today and it has FTTP and my router has came but I got told that I would only need Ethernet ports around the house and will be able to plug straight into the wall to get internet if I connect the router to to the BT hub and connect that in to property ? Can anyone clarify this please

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: FTTP

You need to connect ONT to WAN port on the hub and then use Ethernet to connect hub to panel on wall near hub which then enables you to use the Ethernet sockets in your other rooms

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Do you have any ethernet sockets around the house? They should all be cabled back to a central place within your house. 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Yeah i purposely had a few put around the house because I was told if I plug the router in the wall with the FTTP in the Wan port on the router then a cable from the router to a Ethernet cable to the house it will activate all the other ports so I can always be wired From other rooms but I just want clarification on this to see if it’s true 

kind regards 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Sorry to sound dumb but what it ONT? Am I correct in thinking if I connect the cable from the BT port to the WAN connection on the router then connect a LAN cable from the router directly to the wall it will activate all the other ports? 

kind regards 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

An ONT is an Optical Network Terminal. This device connects the fibre that has been wired to the outside of your house, to your modem. The ONT is a small white plastic box (180mm x50mm x 120mm) that will be placed on your internal wall.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

ONT fttp_small_ont_2019.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

The ONT is the modem and connects to the WAN port of your router. You can then connect the LAN ports to the various ports on the patch panel to give Ethernet access in the rooms they are cabled to.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

2018-11-30 19_19_34-Window.png

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Hi Kirky,

Normally for ethernet wiring the wiring for each remote socket (bedroom, lounge, kitchen etc.) is wired back to a single location, probably near your router/ONT, so you may have multiple sockets at the central location. If you have have already connected the ONT to the Router via the WAN port, you have three sockets left which would each need to be connected to one of the sockets. If you have more than three external ethernet sockets, you will need to use an additional ethernet switch to connect the remaining ports.

Sorry if this is confusing...

0 Ratings