Message 1 of 3

Hi, this is my first post so forgive me if this topic has already been covered endlessly in the past.

I am about to move house to a location that will have FTTP. If you imagine this is an upside down house with the ground floor comprising of garage space, first floor bedrooms and bathroom and second floor has the kitchen and living room etc.

The property is a new build and the BT incoming duct is in the garage. The living room is on the second floor and I don't really want an externally run fibre cable running up the outside of the property. The electrical contractor has installed standard copper telephone cable to two phone sockets in the house with the cable also terminating in the garage adjacent to the BT incoming duct. 

My issue is that I want the modem located on the second floor but I realise that the modem will have to plug into the GPON unit which will be located in the garage (unless we run surfacing cable either external or internal) so the existing copper telephone socket cabling is no use to me in that respect.

The only thing I can think of is that in time I might be able to run a concealed CAT6 cabling through voids etc to get one up to the second floor but I would not be able to sort this in time for the BT installation date.

My question is would I be able to extend the patch lead that plugs the modem into the GPON unit using CAT6 cabling to enable my to site the router on the second floor? I understand the general limitations on CAT6 cabling and would estimate the cable length to be no more than 30m.

Apologies for the length of this post but I would welcome any advice or suggestions that you may have.

Many thanks,

Barry

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: FTTP

Go to solution

30 mts of CAT 6 cable wold have no impact on connection speed so by all means do run the cable and have your hub upstairs. I'm surprised there hasn't been any ethernet sockets installed.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: FTTP

Go to solution

Hi Pippincp,

Thank you very much for your response.

I am surprised that there are no Ethernet cables installed as standard. I did ask but the developer would not allow them to be installed and to be fair we came to the property once the first fix electrical installation had been installed but before it had been plastered.

Having said that in this age of modern communications and a new property to boot it would have been nice to think there would have been some forethought but I guess at the end of the day it all comes down to cost.

Thank you once again for your assistance.

Kind regards,

Barry

0 Ratings