Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
UsCullens
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

FVA wiring over cat5

Hi,

Our FTTP ONT is in the plant room for our new house which we're building. There are a number of cat5 cables ducted through to the existing cottage that we're living in right now. Internet access is up and running across this to the cottage no issue.

BT have today enabled the FVA access to the ONT and are switching off the copper (which comes directly into the existing cottage).

My plan to get the phone signal over to the cottage for the moment is to use one of the spare cat 5 cables and wire a BT plug at the plant room end and an RJ11 at the other end. The RJ11 will plug directly into the Siemens Gigaset DECT unit (which combines regular and VOIP lines as we also have some VOIP lines).

I think I have understood that I only need to wire up 2 pins - 2 & 5 but what I'm not clear on is whether I need to make it a crossover or not.

Should it be

wire 2 <-> wire  2 

wire 5 <-> wire  5

OR

wire 2 <-> wire  5

wire 5 <-> wire  2 

Thank you!

Beau

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: FVA wiring over cat5

You can do it either way it is not pole sensitive. Openreach are ending FVA this year and will cease accepting orders from March 31st.

0 Ratings
UsCullens
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Thank you!

When you say "ending FVA" do you mean that their provision of a number to us will then be via VOIP?

0 Ratings
Sage
Message 4 of 4

One would hope so but no details are available yet to my knowledge.

0 Ratings