cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 23

Faceplate

Hi. My broadband has been cutting out a few times daily and I can't make or receive phone calls - when I try making a call I get a loud noise like a revving motorbike. It's the same with other phones I've tried.
As advised, I unscrewed the faceplate to use the test socket, but there were a tangle of wires there and I didn't want to dislodge anything so I screwed the plate back on and a second or two after this, I noticed my BT hub light showing yellow for a minute or so before turning blue again. It did this on the two occasions I tried unscrewing the plate. I'm worried that this means there's a fault in the faceplate wiring and that I'll face huge charges for the call out plus electrician's fees.
Help!!
0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 23

Re: Faceplate

why do you think you will need electrician?  is the socket multi purpose - phone and aerial for tv and power socket?

post pic of socket would help  if problem on your side of test socket then more than like get charged callout £85

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 23

It's just for my phone and broadband.
Can't upload a photo unfortunately, but thanks for your reply.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 23

if it is just for your phone and broadband then no electrician is need 

try connecting to test socket as any wires connected to the front plate are customers responsibility anyway and see if that works ok

you can add your photo using photos here Capture.PNG

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 23

BT.JPG

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 23

I'm frightened I might accidentally dislodge something as it's all a tangled mass of wires!!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 23

That reminds me of an old phone/analogue modem splitter, not a microfilter, are you sure that plug in unit is suitable for broadband?

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 23

@puppykins wrote:

I'm frightened I might accidentally dislodge something as it's all a tangled mass of wires!!

There should only have been two wires connected, unless of course you have other sockets elsewhere. They could easly cause disconnections.

I would be inclined to unplug that splitter, and use a microfilter if you have one.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 23

wow  long time since I seen one of these splitters

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 23

It was actually a friend who helped set up my broadband connection years ago. I've had no trouble until now!!
0 Ratings