cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mooly
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 10

Falling speeds. Any ideas ? Also BB Fault reported online. Unable to view progress.

Go to solution

I have recently been upgraded free of charge to 'up to 76mbs' service. Previously I was getting a good 48-52mbs consistently.

Following the upgrade I have noticed very short interuptions in service, however speeds have been excellent and culminating in just a shade over 76mbs when tested on Christmas Eve. Since then they have fallen right down to around 28-32mbs. All usual things have been tried. 

When the problem occurs I loose internet access BUT the Hub lights remain blue. I have noticed the DSL light on the OpenReach modem blinking at 1Hz during these brief periods. Hub light never wavers from blue.

I used the BT Speedchecker for a final 'approved' test and this reported speeds were below what was expected and that the fault lay between the hub and the network.

Although the fault is available on BT's 'track my faults' I am unable to access it. It keeps asking to link the account ? What is that all about.

NOTE... last two images are reversed. When I click the link offered to 'link accounts' I am taken to 'contact us'.

F1.JPG 

F3.JPGF2.JPG

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Falling speeds. Any ideas ? Also BB Fault reported online. Unable to view progress.

Go to solution

I have asked a moderator about the account linking issue.

On the speed issue, which BT Home hub do you have?

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

0 Ratings
Mooly
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 10

Re: Falling speeds. Any ideas ? Also BB Fault reported online. Unable to view progress.

Go to solution

Many thanks for the quick reply Keith.

Events have overtaken things this morning......

The problem has become worse and the landline is now 100% dead although BB is still functional. I rang BT to report the landline issue and the person I spoke to had problems matching my details such as address/name/phone number. However... the details were finally brought up.

I was asked to do a test of pluging the phone into the master socket test point... still dead. Remote tests were run, and despite me saying that this is the second time the landline fault in six weeks has occured (external causes before and external causes historically before that), it was insisted that I agree to a home visit.

Some anecdotal evidence...

The cabinet at the end of the road appears to be attended by an OpenReach engineer probably 4 days out of 7. This has been like this for months going into years.

Today I walked for the paper and lo and behold, the engineer is there now. I spoke to him and he said he was dealing with five separate reported faults in this cabinet today (mine isn't one of them) and that problems with the cabinet have been an ongoing issue.

So... I shall keep you posted. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Some progress then.

The loss or deterioration of the phone line, would be the reason for your problems.

Once the phone line is fixed, the broadband speed will return to normal.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Mooly
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Lets hope so and I'm also just hoping the BB holds up until then. I'll let you know the outcome.  

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @Mooly,

Please keep us posted and let us know how things go after the engineers visit.

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Mooly
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks for the interest folks 🙂

Well things moved on at speed. At around 2pm there was an unexpected visit from the OpenReach engineer I spoke to earlier in the day (who was working at the cabinet). A quick line reflection check from the master socket showed that one of the pair of wires was open circuit some 40 meters or so away... putting it at the top of pole outside. Amazing that the BB was still workable but thats another story, it certainly shows the resilience of the system. 

So a quick fix for the engineer who had been given both jobs, the earlier BB issues and then the dead landline. He ran a whole battery of tests on the lines afterwards including resistance to the exchange, signal to noise ratios, attenuation etc etc. All passed with flying colours.

He also offered to reset the line (for the BB) but also suggested it wasn't always the quick fix that was assumed (generally speaking) for speed issues and could actually slow things down in the short term. We decided to leave things and sure enough, within minutes the speed was wasy back up in the high numbers.

As an aside I asked about the Hubs generally and he was of the opinion that the Hub 6 was pretty decent and excelled on connectivity and range but that the older Hub 3 and OpenReach modem (which I use) was the combination that would often work where where others failed.

So all in all a great experience and well done to BT/OpenReach. And given that this was Boxing Day makes it all the more impressive.

Capture.JPG  

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

That is service for you Smiley Happy

Broadband will work with one wire disconnected, but not very well, as you have discovered.

If you think that the Openreach person did a good job, you can thank them via this form.

Thank an Openreach engineer - they do the repairs

0 Ratings
Mooly
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

It is indeed good service 🙂

Yes, I was surprised when when the engineer actually mentioned the fact it would work on just one wire.

Thanks for the link, I have just fired off a nice reply.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @Mooly,

Thank you for posting back. That's a great result, I'm really happy the engineer was able to get your connection back up to speed Smiley Happy

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings