Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
rlcoach
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

Fast BT Wholesale speed test but very slow and patchy internet

Over the past 3-4 days I have had slow and patchy internet. This has affected every device at home, whether it be wired or wireless, and my setup has not changed in years. I have the original modem, connecting to my Airport Extreme. I am on BT Infinity 2

I have spoken to BT Support, who got me to run a BT wholesale speed test, which came out okay. It was about 40 down and just short of 2 up. The upload is usually 10+, but that in itself isn't enough to explain the slow internet. Sometimes pages take a long time to download, and my Apple TV/Amazon Fire TV aren't really working.

If I run an independent speed test, it doesn't reflect the BT wholesale test results (and it did when my internet was working ok).

For example I was getting 47 down and 10 up, but now I am getting 20 ish down and 2-3 up. Again not in itself enough to enough to make the internet slow to a crawl (as it feels much much slower than those numbers). It is also not really consistent, as sometimes it seems okay, but most of the time not.

BT won't entertain any issue with their network, as they are saying the BT wholesale test is fine, so my internet speed is fine. Effectively blaming my router for the cause of the speed issues. 

Whilst they redirected me to a BT help page, as an example, I had to wait 2 minutes for it download!

I don't have my old BT Home Hub, so I am not able to run much of the diagnostic tests. However I am in the process of getting a refurbished one to do some diagnostics next week, as I don't have any options as BT won't look into the problem until I do.

I thought maybe it could be a DNS issue, but presumbably that wouldn't really effect the speedtest.

Has anybody any input or ideas in the meantime?

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Fast BT Wholesale speed test but very slow and patchy internet

can you post any stats from the modem or is it locked?

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phpne

are thete any problems for your area shown here  http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/mso.php

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?

http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/service_status

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15036

http://community.plus.net/exchange-information/

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
rlcoach
Beginner
Message 3 of 15

ADSL.png

0 Ratings
rlcoach
Beginner
Message 4 of 15

I don't think I can access any of the modem stats, from my Airport Extreme.

I couldn't notice any particular noise on the quiet line test. Although I don't have a corded phone, so heard the hum that is probably normal with my DECT phone and then a very faint intermitten tapping.

I couldn't see anything in the inks for my area. Thanks for sending them through.

0 Ratings
stevebrass
Expert
Message 5 of 15

If you run the Airport Utility does it show any problems with the AE?

Might be worth powering the AE off and starting it again.

0 Ratings
rlcoach
Beginner
Message 6 of 15

Nope it all seems good to me on the Airport Extreme. I have powered everything down a few times over the past few days, but no improvement.

I updated the Airport Extreme firmware today, but no different.

I don't feel like the problem is with the router, but BT seem to be adamant purely based on the BT wholesale stats being within their acceptable limits.

0 Ratings
stevebrass
Expert
Message 7 of 15

Okay - I thought you might have done all that.

I think the best thing is to try the new hub when it arrives - running it with and without the AE.

I have run Airports with the HH5 and the HG612 and the ECI modems, all with no probelms .

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

a dull hum is normal on cordless but not any tapping sound.

can you run btspeedtster and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results please  

btspeedtester

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
rlcoach
Beginner
Message 9 of 15

My speed at this precise moment seems ok, but it is up and down.

I ran the test the first time and had a ping rate of 132ms for the initial test.

Download speedachieved during the test was - 46.48 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 34.77 Mbps-49.68 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 49.68 Mbps

IP Profile 49.68

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 3.19Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

0 Ratings
rlcoach
Beginner
Message 10 of 15

My internet is still very slow and unreliable, with great big pauses. I cannot get much connectivity statistics, so hard to know what is going on.

I have a BT Home Hub 4 coming tomorrow, so I am hoping I can do more diagnotics on it, and at least rule in or out whether it is a connection issue or a router issue.

It is strange that my wholesale speed tests are always okay, but the general internet and speedtest.net results are always slow.

0 Ratings