cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JonathanAnsell
Contributor
Message 1 of 23

Fault Logging Problem

Anyone else had a problem when reporting faults online?

Parents ran the fault diagnostics this afternoon as they keep having broadband problems. It identified an external fault so they filled in the details and were given a VOL reference.

They have not recieved and email as you'd normally expect. The BT website doesn't list any open faults, but when checking the service in my area section that does suggest there is an open fault. The MyBT app also suggests an open fault but there is no way to see the details of it.

I can't track it via the VOL reference so was wondering if there was anyway of checking if an Openreach engineer is actually going to be assigned.

The reference is xxxxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxxx if anyone can help.

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 23

Re: Fault Logging Problem

Please remove the VOL nukmber, this is a public website and the number is a personal identifier to your parents.

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 3 of 23

Hi @JonathanAnsell are any more details available if they log into their My BT at www.bt.com/mybt?

You mentioned there that there's a fault in the area - is that currently showing on our own service status page?

if there is a fault in the area, we may not be able to progress your parent's fault individually (assuming their issue is linked to that), but the quickest way to check would be to try the live chat faults team.

They should be able check the fault and see what the latest update is (again, if the issue is linked to an issue in the area, there mightn't be much we can do at this stage). Have you tried them at all yet?

Community ModeratorStephanie
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 23

It would help if you named the exchange area.

0 Ratings
JonathanAnsell
Contributor
Message 5 of 23

@StephanieG thank you for editing my post.

When logged into their account no open faults show at all.

The service status page shows that their area has no issues but that they do have an open broadband fault. When you click on see details though and either authenticate with the account number or BT logon details it generates an error message.

@pippincp They are located on the Hunmanby exchange. Served by cabinet 3 I believe.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
JonathanAnsell
Contributor
Message 6 of 23

Quick update.

Just logged into their BT account and there is now a fault showing however it has a different VOL number to the one that the diagnostic tool generated.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 23

If its a failure affecting a number of customers, then it will have a different fault reference, but all other reports will be linked to it, but not visible.

It could be an MSO (Major Service Outage)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 23

Last reports available to me from Openreach are at 3pm. I can only see cabinet problems unless it is a major structual one as are normally reported on "Matters beyond our control" reports, storm damage etc.

I'll check in the morning for you (9am) and see if the is anything.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 23

Nothing reported for the cabinets in that area or MSO's.

0 Ratings
JonathanAnsell
Contributor
Message 10 of 23

Just had a phone call to say an engineer has been round but couldn’t find any fault.

Don’t know specifics of what he did but apparently he’s reset something and it’ll take about 10 days for the line to settle. (DLM at a guess).

He said that something happened last night somewhere to cure it though. Which seems an odd comment to make.
0 Ratings