Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JonathanAnsell
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 25

Re: Fault Logging Problem

Go to solution
Well a quick update.

The broadband has been connected for over 7 days with no disconnections. The download speed is up to 27.5 Mbps with an attainable of 30.5 Mbps.

The downstream snr is slowly heading back down towards 3db.

Looks like something was fixed but we will have to wait and see.
0 Ratings
JonathanAnsell
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 25

Go to solution
Well the issue seems to be back.

Got a call to say the broadband is running slow.
Ran a test via the BT app which showed 12.5Mbps down and 3Mbps up.
Checked on the dsl checker and that shows that last reported speed on 08/02/2019 as 12.8Mbps down and 3.32Mbps up.
Ran a diagnostic via the BT help section and it showed the line as stable but when it tried to run a speed test it failed.
On a second attempt the test completed and was up at 25.4Mbps and 4.4Mbps up.
Confirmed with parents that the router light went orange when the test ran.

Can’t get any further details at the moment but they’ve already had two engineer visits and neither has resolved their issue.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 25

Go to solution

@JonathanAnsell wrote:
Well the issue seems to be back.

Got a call to say the broadband is running slow.

Who called you, as there are a lot of scammers making calls like this. BT would never call you to say its running slow.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/48253/kw/scam%20calls/c/761,6077

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 25

Go to solution

His parents presumably.Smiley Wink

JonathanAnsell
Aspiring Expert
Message 15 of 25

Go to solution

Yes it was my parents who rang.

I've attached two screen shots from the dsl checker. One from last night and one from this morning. I've also attached the technical log as that shows the drop in connection when I ran the diagnostic.

I've got the event log too which shows disconnections on numerous days. There's a period after which the engineer visited where it was stable and then we get the same reoccurance of disconnections again.

Picture 2.pngPicture 1.pngPicture 3.png

0 Ratings
JonathanAnsell
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 25

Go to solution
So I reported on Twitter that I get an error message when trying to run further diagnostics on the wholesale speed tester and thought I'd ask the agent to test my parents line after he tested mine.
They advised they had found a fault and would raise it with Openreach and contact my parents on Wednesday.
Low and behold this afternoon my mum found an OR engineer in her garden testing the external grey box on the wall.
After some testing inside and outside the house he identified there was potentially a fault with an underground cable.
He went off to the cabinet to test there and said he'd call if he fixed it otherwise he'd pass it off to another engineer to come and check.
BT have confirmed they are arranging an underground engineer to attend.
0 Ratings
JonathanAnsell
Aspiring Expert
Message 17 of 25

Go to solution

Well the underground engineer couldn’t find a fault and was on site for a good couple of hours.

Since his visit the disconnections happen roughly once every couple of days with the message “WAN connection WAN2_INTERNET_PTM disconnected.[ERROR_NO_CARRIER]” logged in the event log.

Two of the disconnections seem to time with phone calls but I can’t pin that down for certain. Also their upstream ip profile is set to 20Mbps on a 55/10 package but I doubt this has much effect as they only achieve 5Mbps upstream anyway.

The dsl checker lists them as having jumpers still connected which I have no idea what that means and I don’t really understand when I google it either.

Only thing to note is the engineer prior to the underground one said his device was showing the fault as being X number of meters away which he said put it practically in the exchange and he didn’t think that was correct. 

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 18 of 25

Go to solution

Hi @JonathanAnsell I'm sorry the fault persists on your parents' line. 

I will send you a private message shortly with information on how to get in touch. Please follow the instructions and one of the mods will get back to you.

Thanks

Community ModeratorStephanie
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Highlighted
JonathanAnsell
Aspiring Expert
Message 19 of 25

Go to solution

Not your fault @StephanieG, I've replied to your message. 

Sorry it's rather lengthy but I thought I'd sumarise what's in the thread and save someone having to read through multiple posts. 🙂

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 20 of 25

Go to solution

Hi @JonathanAnsell sorry I missed you when I called there. @StuartH is back tomorrow, can you get back to me with a suitable contact number and time for one of us to call?

Thanks

Community ModeratorStephanie
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings