I'm having Infinity installed on Friday and yesterday my Home Hub 3 arrived so in preparation I thought I would hook up the HH3 to my PC with the yellow ended network cable (plugged into one of the 4 yellow ethernet ports) and check that it was working and what options are available in the web interface.
I connected fine to http://bthomehub.home (IP 192.168.1.254) and although the web interface did appear, it took quite a bit longer than I'm used to with other routers. It then asked me to change the default password so I typed in the one off the tab clipped into the the back of the HH3 along with a new password but then the hub then just sits there for an eternity stating it was applying the changes. In the end I got bored waiting (more than 5 minutes) and switched off the router only to find I couldn't then connect to the web interface again after it was switched back so had to resort to holding in the reset button on the back. I can then connect again but I get exactly the same issue trying to change the default password which requires another reset, and so on. I've tried this on my main PC and also on a laptop.
The machines I'm using are both Windows 7 x64 machines which are set to obtain their IP automatically. I've tried switching off the firewall and I've also tried using IE9, Chrome and Firefox to no avail.
I'm slightly worried that I've got a faulty HH3 because if the engineer arrives on Friday and it's problematic then it may leave me without internet access until BT can send me out another HH3 (unless the engineer carries spare ones in his van?).
Does it sound like there is something wrong with my HH3 or does it need to be connected to the internet to be able to complete the password change process and set up the hub (which I would find odd if it did)?
I think I'll ring up BT tomorrow to make them aware that there might be a problem with the HH3 they sent me and ask them to ensure the engineer does bring a spare hub with him just in case.
I take it then that the changing the password in the web interface should be virtually instantaneous like it is on other routers I've used (Netgear, Linksys etc) and shouldn't require the hub to be connected to a live VDSL modem?
I've just done some diagnosis on my HH3 so I thought I would update this thread for completeness.
After a factory reset of the router with the reset button, the following occurs:-
1. After typing Type "bthomehub.home" into the URL address bar, it takes ~5 minutes to display the password prompt page (or the "Home" page if the password has already been set).
2. After entering a new password, the change takes ~6 minutes to be appled and the "Home" page loaded.
3. When clicking on the "Services" button it takes ~3.5 minutes for the Services page to appear.
4. When clicking on the "Settings" button either a "Cannot display web page" error is displayed of the page takes ~3.5 minutes to appear
5. When clicking on the "Troubleshooting" button it takes ~7 minutes for the "Help and Advice" page to appear.
These page load timings are around about the same whether the HH3 is connected to my PC or laptop and so I think I can safely say that the hub I have is definitely faulty in some way.
I rang up BT and they told me that the engineer might have a spare hub in his van but it's not guaranteed so if he doesn't they will have to send me out another HH3 and rebook another installation appointment which no doubt would mean another 3-4 week wait. What a great start. Let's just hope I don't pick the short straw and the engineer allocated to do mine will actually have a spare hub kicking about in the back of his van.
engineer will normally keep a couple of spare Home hubs in his van ,for this exact problem,the engineer will still want to investigate the router though ...and will not take your word for it being faulty .(very politely though haha)...
He will be more than welcome to 😄 I'd like him to see with his own eyes how bad the speed of the web interface is. Hopefully you're right about the spare hubs.
Just thought I'd conclude this in case anyone else thinks they have a faulty Home Hub for the same reasons.
My Infinity 2 connection was installed today and the hub I thought was faulty is actually perfectly fine. For whatever reason it came to life as soon as it was plugged into the Openreach VDSL modem with an active connection and all web interface pages on it now load in a flash. I have no idea why it was running like a complete dog with no active VDSL connection. Maybe the firmware was continually polling for a non-existant connection on the WAN which was taking up all it's CPU resources. Who knows but it's irrelevant now because it's working as expected.
Anyway, I was very pleased with my connection speed which was only a couple of meg short of what my line speed was estimated at. Obviously I still have the 10-day bedding in period to go through but hopefully it will remain somewhere near these speeds after that time has elapsed. Much better than my previous Sky Broadband connection where I was getting a ping rate of ~40ms with an average download speed of less 3Mbps and an average upload speed of less than 0.4Mbps.
I just checked the Firmware page in my Home Hub and it says that the firmware was updated on 3/11/12 which was the day of my Infinity installation so I'm guessing once the HH got a live connection through the VDSL modem it updated it's own firmware automatically. I don't know what firmware version the HH was on before but it's now on V100R001C01B031SP12_L_B. Anyway, the new firmware is probably what fixed the problem I was previously getting.