cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Faulty Smart Hub 2?

This is my first post on a community forum, so I apologise for any missing information or poor etiquette.

We have fairly frequent broadband drops per day where our Home Hub 5A flashes orange, reboots etc. (cause in the HH5 log usually 19.220000 Watchdog reset cause 0x3). On good days we can have only 1 – 2 drops which I can live with, but other days it can be every hour or two. After working from home these past couple of months I have been here more to notice these drops, and the frequency on a ‘bad’ day has become intolerable. So, out of sheer frustration I purchased a new Smart Hub 2 to try and rule out any issues with the ageing HH5 and handle all our devices a bit better due to the newer Wi-Fi technologies.

After setting up the Smart Hub 2, our landline phones started suffering with phantom ringing. I.e. the phone thinks there is an incoming call and rings, sometimes for a fraction of a second and up to as much as 2-3 seconds per blip. During a proper initiated call there are loud cracking/snapping sounds intermittently on the line and I have noticed if the landline is hung up, the connection on the other end stays active for 10 – 20 seconds so I could pick up the handset again and still be connected to my mobile. The broadband connection seemed nice and stable on the new Smart Hub 2 with same speeds and noise margins as the HH5 and it did not reboot all day, but I could not leave hooked up for longer than the day due to all these phantom calls on the landlines.

The landline does not do this when the Smart Hub 2 and phone are plugged into the test socket with a Microfilter, and only has extremely faint ‘cracking’ sounds (if any) in a call. I have done a quiet line test from the test socket with just the phone plugged in and seems silent bar an almost inaudible background hissing if I were to really listen hard (nothing anywhere near as bad as what we have had with line noise issues in the past). A BT line test does not pick up any faults so I fear I may have to write this off as a faulty Smart Hub 2 and see if I can get the seller to send out a replacement.

It baffles me why though, if the Smart Hub 2 was causing spikes on the lines, this only occurs when things are run through the faceplate rather than the test socket and Microfilter. Presumably the house cabling is amplifying these spikes around to all the extension sockets? I did go round and isolate all other extension sockets and phones that are connected to the master socket (Openreach Mk2) to rule out any issues with other phones and it seemed having the other phones in the house disconnected from their extension sockets actually made the phantom calls and cracking worse. If I swap things back to the HH5 setup however, the phantom calls and line noise vanish so things are definitely pointing towards the new Smart Hub 2.

Just wondering if anyone has ever encountered something like this before? And, whether it is actually possible for the Smart Hub 2 to be interfering with the voice lines whilst still keeping a seemingly stable broadband connection?

Thanks,

Matt

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Faulty Smart Hub 2?

sorry but am I reading it right that if you connect filter to test socket then phone an hub are ok but if you connect to master faceplate then there are problems?   if so maybe just simply faulty faceplate

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 4

@wilesm 

The fact that you say that the problem does not occur when you use the test socket, would indicate an issue with your internal wiring, which would be disconnected when you use the test socket.

The answer may be to fit a filtered faceplate, so the extension wiring is filtered.

If you have just the basic MK2 socket like this,

Capture.JPG

Then you can fit a filtered faceplate like this.

lindy.jpg

lindy rear.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Many thanks to you both for your replies.

Yes, the fact that the problem does not occur in the test socket does suggest that it is an internal issue, but I ground to a halt having gone through all my wiring and isolated my extension sockets one by one with no improvement. As I mentioned, it actually seemed the more I took off the extension circuits the worse the interference became. Short of there being a disused extension hidden in the walls or under the floor that I have never discovered, I have gone through all my internal wiring.

I did not think to change out the faceplate so I have ordered the Lindy one suggested. My only reservation is that if it were the faceplate that is on its way out, wouldn't the issue be occurring with my HH5 as well?

Sockets.jpg

My master socket is the bottom middle style so I did think these contained a built in filter. But, it will definitely not hurt to update the old Mk2 faceplate to a new filtered one as it was put in a good few years back when we first upgraded to BT Infinity.

Should be arriving on Thursday so I will see if this makes any difference to the interference.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Matt

0 Ratings