Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 11 of 24

Re: Faulty faceplate?

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

@Telecom89 wrote:

I think @Keith_Beddoe indicated that these split front plates can become faulty...

It usually happens after a storm, internal active components break down, as they are far too complex.

This is a much simpler device with only passive components.

LINDY VDSL2 Microfilter Faceplate

LINDY VDSL2 Microfilter Faceplate

Thanks. If I go down this route is this just a plug and play replacement for their original split faceplate, without any cable changes etc. being required? They don't have any extension cabling from the master socket.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 24

If there are no extensions then yes should just replace the existing socket front

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 13 of 24

Although @Keith_Beddoe is quite correct he is (IMHO) referring to lightening storms which may cause a surge on the line.

You've already been suppplied the best advice, try a quiet line test on 17070 option 2 with (preferrably) a corded phone.

If the line noise is still evident you have a line fault which should be reported as such on 151, not a broaband one.

If the line has a problem then so will your broadband.

0 Ratings
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 14 of 24

Hi - the trouble is that they have an intermittent fault and whenever BT contact them it seems to be ok. I'll get them to run a quiet line test a few times and see what happens. They said that there's been work ongoing on a nearby green cabinet. Could that be the issue?

0 Ratings
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 15 of 24

Ok - sometimes the quiet line test is quiet, othertimes persistent crackle on line.

BT seem particularly poor at dealing with intermittent faults. They've already had a HomeHub replaced which made no difference to their BB disconnecting. Under what circumstances would customers be charged the fee of about £130?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 24

If the problem was due to their internal wiring.

If there is crackling when connected to the test socket there will be no charge.

0 Ratings
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 17 of 24

Thanks. I'll let them know. As a matter of interest, what would be causing an intermittent crackle on the line?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 24

A corroded joint probably.

0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 19 of 24

It's worth having a read of Why do I need a landline phone?

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 24

@XRaySpeX wrote:

It's worth having a read of Why do I need a landline phone?

I notice that you often use links to forum member Keith Beddoe's very useful webpages. Perhaps it would be nice to acknowledge that it was Keith who compiled the pages when you post links to them so that credit can be given for his work.