cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mdlatarche
Message 1 of 24

Fed up with BT's false promises

Go to solution

I have been a BT customer for over 40 years and am looking for an alternative.

After having put up with broadband speeds of around 2Mbps for two years since moving to my current property I was over the moon when BT finally rolled out FTC to my village. After signing up the engineer came in Jan 2016 and replaced my ancient BT socket with a brand new one. As one of the first to connect - we are about 1-1.5 miles from the cabinet - we were getting speeds of 11.5Mbps using wireless connection to the router a BT supplied Home Hub 5. I didn't mind that I wasn't getting the guaranteed 12Mbps as I though that the convenience of wireless was sufficient for the extremely small loss. 

The satisfaction didn't last long. After a few months there was a period when speeds dropped back to the old 2-3Mbps. I contacted BT and the customer service agent said that there was a problem somewhere she would get resolved. After a few days speeds were back up. This has happened a couple of times since. 

I check the connection speed regularly and over time the speed has fallen and is now never above 9.3Mbps and often as low as 7.13Mbps. I complained to BT and they have done a line test and say there is a problem and they need to send an engineer who may charge £129.99 if the problem is down to me. I am not falling for this. In previous addresses where I lived I had similar problems and never once has my equipment been found at fault.

The cabling on the outside of the house has been there for over 50 years and it quite likely has deteriorated over time but since I moved in only three years ago and there was no problem in Jan 2016, why should this fall to me? There was no check on the cabling when BT had the new socket fitted but since I was getting near to maximum possible speed wirelessly it can't have been that bad. 

Like I said after more than 40 years you'ld think that BT would want to keep me as a customer but it seems that they just want to squeeze another 129.99 out of me instead. 

I have started looking at alternatives and its strange that most of them only guarantee a minimum speed 8Mbps which seems to suggest that there is a known issue with BT infrastructure in the area. 

Anyone have any suggestions about a reliable alternative?

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 24

Re: Fed up with BT's false promises

Go to solution
http://dslchecker.bt.com will give an A range (based on a good line with no issues) and a B range, which is an impacted line.

Most ISP's go off the B range when estimating speeds. BT use the A range.

Can you post up the connnection stats from the router, along with the results for your line using the above website, inputting your telephone number.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
mdlatarche
Message 3 of 24

Go to solution

Hi Webby

I wouldn't know how to do that - stats from BT Home Hub 5 that is.

Speedchecker thingy is below  VDSL Range A 14.2 high 8.8 Low

Range B 11.4 High 4.2 low.

There are connected houses between me and the cabinet and further away from me. Until a couple of weeks ago I was getting 10.9 regularly Today its dropping to 7.3

mdlatarche.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 24

Go to solution
Without seeing the hub stats it's difficult to say.

You can google the instructions on how to access the connection stats.

Is the router connected to the master socket? Or an extension?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
mdlatarche
Message 5 of 24

Go to solution

Router is connected to Master Socket

is this what you mean

Information for Helpdesk agents
When contacting the BT Broadband helpdesk, the agent might ask you for details about your BT Home Hub. This page contains all of the information they are likely to request.

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068343+NQ55013267
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 (Type A) Last updated 06/01/16
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:0 days, 08:47:16
6. Data rate:945 / 8354
7. Maximum data rate:1177 / 9519
8. Noise margin:6.5 / 7.0
9. Line attenuation:15.3 / 33.7
10. Signal attenuation:15.3 / 26.9
11. Data sent/received:2.3 GB / 13.1 GB
12. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi:Yes
14. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTHub5-HX7P
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
16. 2.4 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
17. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
18. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTHub5-HX7P
19. 5 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
20. 5 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
21. 5 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
22. Firewall:Default
23. MAC Address:84:a4:23:0f:a1:84
24. Modulation:G.993.2 Annex B
25. Software variant:AA
26. Boot loader:1.0.0

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 24

Go to solution
Do you have extensions?

Can you remove the bottom of the master socket to reveal the test socket?

Yes that's the data I'm looking for. At 8.2meg you're ever so slightly below the 8.8meg estimated speed. You must remember, it is just that, estimated.
mdlatarche
Message 7 of 24

Go to solution

No extensions

The socket does have a removable front but the only socket inside is one for the phone (has a rounded side) the line from the router goes into its own housing in the front of the socket above the one for the phone. BT engineer in jan 16 said this type is the latest and doesn't need micro filters and the line from the router will only fit in the top socket.

Speed may be just below the lowest but doesn't help when you've had higher speeds and you're paying the highest rate. Even paying BT £5 per month to retain email address (important for me) I could save around £20 per month by switching supplier.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 24

Go to solution
All that can be done is to request an enginee. If you have no extensions you can't be charged.

If the engineer confirms you're getting the best speed your line can support then you can either contact BT when your contract is up to negotiate a cheaper deal, or switch suppliers.

Be aware that not all suppliers will offer service to customers with a speed estimation as low as yours.
0 Ratings
mdlatarche
Message 9 of 24

Go to solution

The thing about the engineers is that BT have told me that if they come and the fault is traced to any point inside my property (land not building) from the telegraph pole outside to anywhere including cables on the outside walls of my house, then I will be charged £129.99. Crazy considering there are service providers out there that charge just £29.95 to install a completely new line. 

Yes I know that there might be problems but John Lewis supply my phone and Broadband at my holiday caravan and that is slower. They came and installed it when BT couldn't understand why I wanted a new line in a different part of the country and refused to install it because I wasn't cancelling my home line.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 24

Go to solution
If you're 1.5 miles from the DSLAM, which is almost 2.5km then I doubt that'll get much faster.

I'd imagine it'll be a Huwaei DSLAM with Vectoring but at 2.5km that's useless.

We had this problem when ECI's were installed. The first group of people including myself got more than we expected but over time when more and more ports became active Crosstalk knocks a load off. If I remember right when mine was activtaed I had a max rate of 92/29 but 5 years later now the DSLAMS at all most full capacity my max is 78/22 and that's on a 490m line that's all 0.5 copperz

You could ask BT pay Openreach for s Broadband Boost and a CSE would 'try' to speed it up by swapping it onto another cable if any but it's not guaranteed they can.
0 Ratings