cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ludite60
Message 1 of 8

Fed up with resetting my BT Home Hub 3 and it's so slow (except to my daughters Macbook)

Go to solution

I keep having to reset my BT Home Hub 3 because of problems with wireless connections.

The Hub is close to all the equipment.

I have lots of things connected to it:

-          iPhones - Slow not much better that 3G

-          Blackberrys

-          Macbook - Very fast

-          2 Dell Laptops - Slow

-          New model Panasonic TV – Viera ST50 Series – Has Wireless inbuilt – New this year - Slow + buffering problems

-          Sky Box connected via Netgear WN2000RPT Wifi Range Extender - Slow + buffering problems

-          Hard wired PC - Very fast

All worked fine with my old Netgear Router (before I changed to BT).

When I first had this Hub (it’s my 2nd) all was OK for a couple of weeks.

After a while (usually a few days after resetting BT Home Hub) the older Dell Laptop will keep losing its connection.   Once the problem starts the laptop might last for 5 or 10 minute intervals, lose connection and then automatically reconnect, etc, etc.

I'm will to accept that the Laptop is old, but when the Laptop is playing up the TV plays up too.    The Internet on the TV’s also fails.

The answer is to reboot the BT Home Hub.   The Laptop and TV are then both OK (for a few days).

I’m getting fed up with resetting the Hub.   Especially as it has dropped out while watching online TV.

All the other devices appear OK (maybe slow but remain connected).   Only the older laptop and the TV actually lose connection.   But resetting the BT Hub fixes the problem for a few days.   So the hub is at fault.

Recently I’ve been getting other problems.   Now whenever I need to reset the BT Home Hub I need to disconnect the Netgear WN2000RPT.   If I don’t  disconnect the Netgear the BT Home Hub appears to start up and connect OK and everything appears to connect to the Hub OK.  But then none of the Internet content works.   Websites don’t work, TV reports no content.

Now whenever I reset the BT Home Hub I must first turn off the Netgear WN2000RPT.   Previously this never used to be a problem.

In case compatibility with the Netgear WN2000RPT is an issue I now usually leave it unplugged.   I only turn it on for Internet content from Sky.

But the problems described above continue even when Netgear WN2000RPT is turned off.

When playing up the Laptop sometimes shows “Unsecure Connection”.  I wonder if it’s picked up the BT FON connection (but it shows the normal connection).    I suspect the start of the problems may have coincided with the activation of BT FON on the box (could this have taken 2 weeks?).   I’m sure that it was BT FON that completely broke my first BT Home Hub 3, we had had it about a week, then wifi would not connect from anything, after hours on the phone to BT support we could not establish a wireless connection to the Hub, but strangely all was OK on the FON connection.

We have BT Infinity.

Hub is generally slow.   Wired Internet is lightning fast.   New Macbook (using Chrome) via wifi is lightning fast.   Everything else disappointingly slow.   TV and Sky both have buffering issues.

Any ideas?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Fed up with resetting my BT Home Hub 3 and it's so slow (except to my daughters Macbook)

Go to solution

Connect everything that is fixed, with Ethernet cable or Powerline devices, why waste all that speed by using wireless?

If you still have issues with wireless on portable devices, then you may be able to use your old Netgear router as a separate wireless access point.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forumhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information and help.
You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
somniac
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 8

Re: Fed up with resetting my BT Home Hub 3 and it's so slow (except to my daughters Macbook)

Go to solution
Think HH3 is really wobbly with wireless.
I have disabled all wireless including on the hub and opted out of Fon
My line is now much more stable.
0 Ratings
borley
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Easiest option buy your own router BT's are rubbish i was always resetting mine approx every 48 hours bought a 2nd hand TP-Link router from my cousin £20 late last year and its been tunred off a handful of times.

0 Ratings
Ludite60
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks

I need wireless the as TV is wireless asn I don't want wires across the hall and throught the lounge.

The idea of plugging in my old Netgear as a Wireless Access point could be a no cost win.

I see from other replies that I'm not tied to using the BT Home Hub.   Had always assumed that I could not change it.

I'd far rather buy a routher from a high street chain and be able to replace it without argument if it goes wrong.

Lots of options.  Think I'm sorted

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution
you do not need trailing wires when you use powerlines
0 Ratings
MrPink
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Ludite60

The HH3 has the ability to hop around the various Wireless Channels (of which there are 14, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels for indepth info) to enable the hub to pick the best channel for you, taking into account any cordless phones, mobile phones, microwaves etc, all of which could interfere with your wireless signal.

By reseting you HH3 you are forcing it back to its factory default channel (Channel 7 I guess).  Over a period of days, the HH3 may decide that its default channel isn't the most appropriate and select another channel based on what interference it 'sees'- clearly if it gets this wrong (as my HH3 did) then you potentially get wireless reception issues.

Consequently, I decided to manually find out what the best channel was by install a wireless scanner (free @ http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/), then:

1.  Manually change the HH3 Channel (via its settings)

2.  Check the wireless reception 'power' using inSSider installed on the laptop around your house, ie next to your TV etc.

3.  When you find the channel that gives you the best wireless reception, tell the HH3 to remain on that Channel by disabling the 'Smart Wireless' feature (there's some info on this @ http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32236/~/how-do-i-change-the-wireless-channel-on-my-bt...)

As I say, my HH3's range was useless until I forced it to stick to a set Channel, now I have reliable coverage all around the house.  Hope this is some help.

brianlmerritt
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

I fell afoul of this as well.

Have nailed up channel 9 (using inssider) and will see how it goes.  If you don't hear from me again, the problem went away Smiley Happy

0 Ratings