cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeimuzu
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

Feel Cheated . . .

I used to be a happy EE broadband user until I saw the new fibre cabinets being installed last year. I contacted BT who said they didn't have a set date but fibre should be activated by the end of 2013 - which didn't happen. Before I switched from EE to BT in Nov 2013, I contacted NGA Enquiries who told me that the cabinet will be activated early to middle of Feb 2014. Again, this hasn't happened. I kind of feel that between Openreach and BT i've been led into paying more for my broadband in the hope of getting fibre quicker directly than waiting for the cabinet to be activated and then have EE put their equiptment in it. The lack of information from anyone regarding this is disgusting. Is there anywhere I can go to get even a tiny bit of information?
0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Feel Cheated . . .

Up until recently you could email Openreach and ask when your cabinet was likely to be upgraded however Openreach are no longer giving out that information, instead they are replying:-

Thank you for your contact to us. Please note that we will not be responding to you by email but, would like to point you to the Openreach Superfast Fibre website and the FAQ section that will provide answers to the most commonly asked questions. It will also provide links to those service providers that sell fibre broadband at the moment so you can check if your particular line is enabled.

http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/

So in short, you just need to keep checking to see if your cabinet has been up graded.

If you use this checker it will tell what cabinet you are on and what services it can receive

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

0 Ratings
jeimuzu
Beginner
Message 3 of 14

Hi gg30340, yes I contacted openreach using the nga enquiry email address and was told that the final stage of activation was feb 2014 - hence my decision to join BT when my EE contract needed renewing. The ADSL checker used to say Dec 2013 and it now says 31 Mar 2014.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

Unfortunately the dates often change for no apparent reason but there usually is a good reason. It is Openreach that do this work so and it affects all ISP not just BT. When you made your order, the BT advisor would have been working on the best information that was available. All you can do is keep checking.

0 Ratings
jeimuzu
Beginner
Message 5 of 14

The website does give me speeds for my landline when input - is that a good indicator?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

If you used the post code it will give speeds for that post code area. If you used the telephone number it will show what speeds and what services that line can get. You are wanting it to say FTTC range A & range B at the top. If it shows that then the cabinet you are connected to should be fibre enabled.

0 Ratings
Huwflet
Contributor
Message 7 of 14

Could be waiting for your cabinet to get power....

I am in the same boat. Had esitmated speeds for 6 months now but still cant order and no real idea of when. I feel your pain

0 Ratings
jeimuzu
Beginner
Message 8 of 14

I think it's disgusting how they aren't letting us know what is actually going on. Is there anyway I can get more information about this (I don't know if any government website with info) etc . . . ?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 14

You could ask your local councillor or MP to find out on your behalf. I have heard of other posters being successful in doing that.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

Only Openreach have cabinet activation dates and they will not release them until the cabinet is ready as it is commercially sensitivity information
All ISPs buy the same Openreach fibre product no ISP has there own equipment in the cabinet and all ISP's have access to the cabinet once it goes live so no provider has priority
0 Ratings