cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Fibre 1 - Constant Disconnections and Slow Speeds - On 4th Engineer Visit

I've been experiencing constant disconnections for possibly over a year, but only really noticed and felt the effects when working from home during the lockdown, where I count over 20 disconnections per day. The extremely slow speeds (under 2 mbps) has also meant I haven't been able to use BT Sport on my TV for months (just get a black screen with an error message), not a big deal considering the lack of live sport recently, but I have essentially been paying for a broadband + TV that is non-usable.

I have called up customer services 4 times since early April to try and get the issue sorted, but thought I might be able to get some alternative advice here before I try calling again. Summary of 4 engineer visits:

• 1st visit (early April) - engineer sorted out the noisy phone line which was caused by water seepage into the cabinet, he tested the broadband and said it was fixed.
  • 2nd visit (mid May) - didn't get contacted by the engineer, just got an automated text that the internet was fixed, so not sure if a visit even happened
  • 3rd visit (May 29th) - got a call from the engineer saying he noticed a "cap" on the network and he was unsure why the previous two didn't notice it. He sorted it and I tested the speeds, it improved back to expected levels of around 40 mbps and BT Sport came back on, however it didn't change the disconnection issues, I was still seeing over 10+ disconnections a day
  • 4th visit (today June 8th) - engineer finally came onto the property to confirm there was nothing wrong internally. He rechecked outside and identified a broken wire which he replaced. Not sure why the previous 3 didn't notice this. Speeds are however now down to 10 mbps and I have seen 2 disconnections so far, so it's not looking good yet again.

Would switching internet service provider solve the issue or do they all share the same wiring? The engineer today also stated that BT should provide me with a newer hub - I'm on Hub 5 I believe.

Would it be advisable to switch to Halo 1 to get the 4g hub?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Fibre 1 - Constant Disconnections and Slow Speeds - On 4th Engineer Visit

All ISPs apart from virgin use the same connection sto your home so changing will not change your conenction

getting Halo only gives you 4g connection if you no longer have a connection and not if your connection is just lower than normal

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Thank you for the quick confirmation.

Yes, the phone line test was the first thing I tried and the first engineer sorted that out. The line is fine now.

Below is what I got from HelpDesk in Troubleshooting

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068543+NQ61710616
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.264 (Type A) Last updated 18/02/19
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:0 days, 00:05:53
6. Data rate:10480 / 49660
7. Maximum data rate:10480 / 57378
8. Noise margin:6.4 / 6.0
9. Line attenuation:26.2 / 19.6
10. Signal attenuation:25.7 / 19.0
11. Data sent/received:1.3 MB / 7.3 MB
12. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi:Yes
14. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID: 
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
16. 2.4 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
17. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
18. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID: 
19. 5 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
20. 5 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
21. 5 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
22. Firewall:Default
23. MAC Address: 
24. Modulation:G.993.2 Annex B
25. Software variant:AA
26. Boot loader:1.0.0
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

I've given it a week in hope that things would stabilise after the last engineer visit, but unfortunately I'm still being disconnected multiple times a day and the speeds are nowhere near where they should be.

Would a newer hub possibly solve the issues if all 4 engineers have apparently 'solved' any issues internally and externally?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Have you tried a factory reset of the hub by pressing the recessed button on back and holding 20/30secs until lights flash 

remember to turn off smart setup when hub reboots

until you can get a stable connection you are not going to make any progress and will probably see your noise margin increasing and speed reducing

if reset does not help then phone 150 and see if you can get replacement hub

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings