cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Fibre 1 - No OpenReach Modem

Go to solution

Hi

As you may have seen in my previous posts I am in the process of helping  Elderly Relatives (ER), who live hundreds of miles away, get setup with Broadband for the first time.

For reasons that I'm unclear on the option to get BT to set everything up for them wasn't chosen so I've been guiding ER through the setup via facetime running off a 4G personal hotspot, and to be fair they've done a good job.

Here's what I know

• ER has purchased the Fibre1 package
  • ER has been delivered smart hub 2
  • ER has received email to say broadband service has now begun
  • ER has attached the filter to their phone socket, landline working ok
  • ER has attached the broadband cable to the filter and attached the other end to the correct smart hub2 socket (socket furthest to the  left)
  • ER has attached the power cable to the modem and started it up
  • ER gets green light the flashing purple light goes no further
  • ER has gone though MyBT and checked the service, broadband all looks fine.

I don't have fibre myself so the setup looks ok to me, however when I look at the setup instructions an additional openreach modem is mentioned as sitting between the filter and the modem, is that necessary and should it have been delivered as part of the delivery?

Thanks in advance for your help, BT chat seems unavailable this morning so came here.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Fibre 1 - No OpenReach Modem

Go to solution

there is no longer a need for the openreach modem as the SH2 is modem and router

are the ER connecting to the master socket which will be the first socket in their home where the openreach cable enters from outside  which master do the have

Keith_Beddoe_0-1577035081757.jpegMaster socket types.jpeg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

Hi imjolly

Thanks for the info, have checked with ER, they have option 1, albeit its quite new and has a clip on front rather than screws.

Hope that helps

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

If it has a clip on front it will be number 7. That is the latest socket. It has 2 sockets, one for phone and one for BB. It does not need a filter.

Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

the from your description is the new NTE5C and connecting filter then rj11 modem cable to filter and then to dsl connection on back of hub is correct  the hub should boot up and eventually the light should go blue

If still no blue light then need to phone customer services either 150 from BT phone or 0800800150 from a mobile

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/helpandsupport/how-toguides/howtoguides/downloads/NTE5C_Instru...

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution
Thanks pippincp - its definitely just got the one socket though. I've shown the pdf provided by imjolly below and its definitely the NTES5C socket, thank for your help though.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution
Thanks for that, yep they definitely have the NTE5C, thanks for your help.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

Have booked an engineer for ER will update this thread with more details.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

Earlier this year an engineer fitted a new style master socket on which the front clip-on piece only had the single phone socket so still needed a filter. Luckily an earlier engineer fitted one with the two sockets, so I just swopped them over.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

Hi everyone I just thought i'd provide an update on this.

A BT engineer came out the next day and found the problem was due to damaged cables in the junction box down the road. All up and running now.

Thanks for your help.