cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17

Fibre 1 speed on Fibre 2 package?

Hi,

I've recently upgraded my broadband package from Fibre 1 to Fibre 2 and yet my speed hasn't changed at all and I am still being capped at ~50Mb/s instead of ~73Mb/s (see screenshot below) and I am wondering why that is?

The broadband availability page (after inputting my address and landline) clearly shows that I could get the ~73Mb/s speed on Fibre 2 (see screenshot below). The broadband checker page also shows that my line supports up to ~80Mb/s (see screenshot below). What is also weird is that My BT Broadband page shows normally available speeds in the range of Fibre 1 and not Fibre 2 (see screenshot below).

Thanks in advance, U.

Broadband Availability Page.pngBroadband Checker Page.pngMy BT Broadband Page.pngSpeedtest.png

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: Fibre 1 speed on Fibre 2 package?

according to dslchecker your connection speed was 58mb which is above the max speed for fibre 1 therefore you must now be on fibre 2.  speeds shown by BT are connection speeds not download speed like that shown by ookla

you can only get as fast as your line can handle and just by removing fibre 1 cap of 55mb does not mean you will automatically move to fibre 2 max speed

can you post hub stats   advanced settings then technical log information - NOT the actual logs

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 17

Your observed speed on the 20/11/21 was 58.9Mb this is in excess of the 55Mb cap on Fibre 1 so suggests the upgrade has been done but isn’t much of an increase over 55Mb so you wouldn’t notice it….the checker shows your predicted speed as between 55 and 80, so is in line with that, but you may have scope to improve your speed….post your router stats , this will give an idea if your line is performing as well as it can or if there are issues .
Message 4 of 17

You are right, I didn't notice that the observed speed was 58Mb/s. But even then, the broadband checker page shows that my line supports up to ~80Mb/s (which is the Fibre 2 cap), why am I then only getting ~58Mb/s-ish?

Here are the hub stats (uptime is low as I've recently performed a factory reset thinking it would improve the speed);

Technical Log Information Page.png

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 17

The dslchecker shows your expected speed range is 80/60mb with handback mb not that your line can support 80mb. from your stats your attainable is only 59mb so you are right at bottom of estimated range.

Are you using the master socket?  Have you tried using test socket with a filter to see if that makes any difference?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 6 of 17

Yes, I am using the master socket. It is the type with two sockets (one for broadband and one for telephone) therefore (as far as I know) it doesn't have a test socket, and using a filter is not advisable (wouldn't work)?

Master Socket.png

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 17

It does have a test socket behind the removable frontplate. The whole point of a test socket is to completely isolate your internal wiring which could be causing the problem. The test socket requires a filter to enable the hub to connect to it.

Message 8 of 17

Right, it seems like I misunderstood, thanks.
I've now ordered the microfilter and will report back if it improves anything once it gets here.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 17

Here are the results using the test socket with a microfilter;

Microfilter Technical Log.pngMicrofilter Speedtest.png

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 17

I would maintain connection for a few days and see if DLM increases your connection speed as exactly 55mb down looks like capped at fibre 1 max.

your connection down/up appears low compared to dslchecker but consistent with the BT estimate you posted initially.