cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 19

Re: Fibre 1 upload speed

Go to solution

You don't need any route, you already have that answer in your first post. 10Mbps.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 19

Go to solution

Thanks Pippin, I do appreciate the help trying to get to the bottom of this issue.

Can you offer any comment why I am seeing a 2Mbit/s limit on sustained uploads (over say half a second in duration)? It is so consistent on this line, and does not match the profile I see on other lines to the same cabinet.

The modem itself is clocking in at far above that and as a burst rate I do see the capability for 5-6 Mbit, but I never see this in any kind of sustained test even when my PC is hardwired to the modem directly, ignoring any home router etc. The limit is clearly visible on speed test results.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 19

Go to solution
Message 14 of 19

Go to solution
Thanks for that, I will try that when I get home back onto that line. Much appreciated.
0 Ratings
Message 15 of 19

Go to solution

Hi @pippincp , thanks for the link.

Here is the result (hardwired to the router and the only device connected). I confirm that this evening I get similar results from speedtest.net and other checkers, though to be fair they report a high speed at the very start of the test before dropping to a stable 2 Mbit.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1611860779828270755

Screenshot from 2021-01-28 19-07-12.png

Modem is connected at 6758 up / 32399 down, DSL uptime 10 days 12 hours with no retrains. Previously tested with an NL8800 and HH5b, similar results. This one is an HG612.

Results the same from Firefox and Chrome.

I also ran the special test for cabinets with congestion. Here are the results:

Screenshot from 2021-01-28 19-17-32.png

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 19

Go to solution

To round this off with some more data, here is the same speed test result when connected direct to the modem:
PC <-- cable / PPPoE --> modem <-- cable VDSL2 --> cabinet

There is clearly something not right:

Without trying to make assumptions about what might be going wrong in the BT / Openreach systems, the real question is what can I do about it? Is there any advice?

Screenshot from 2021-01-30 04-47-01.png

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 19

Go to solution

Good morning folks, still trying to diagnose this 2Mbit/sec upload issue and managed to capture the burst / stable upload speeds on the checker recommended by @pippincp . This profile is consistent with nearly every other checker (apart from BTW official which only records the peak value).

Modem is currently syncing in at 6681 on the upstream side which is my focus for now, so I would expect throughput at around 5Mbit / sec which is what it sees at the peak before it is limited. (on the upload plot you can clearly see this - a very high peak at the start and then a stable level for the rest of the test)

Knowing that

• This line used to be at a 2Mbit / sec profile
  • Openreach are able to cap lines at 2Mbit / sec without it being seen on sync speed
  • This line is being capped to 2Mbit / sec upload

Is there any likelihood that

• The IP profile is correctly set but that there is an equipment fault in the cabinet which is causing the limit
  • There is another limit in the Openreach system which does not appear under the IP profile associated with the line (I'm not sure how the caps in SIN498 are applied, but up until now had assumed they would be reported in the IP profile)
  • A previous BT limiting system has a memory of an old profile for this line, but this has not been disabled (I'm not sure what that would be, but I'm sure this line has not been unlimited for ever)

I may be barking up the wrong tree but I'm almost certain we have a stuck profile of some kind somewhere.

(Don't worry about the download results here - this particular laptop happens to be on 2.4Ghz wifi so the result is not valid - no such problem for these upload speeds though, and the result is consistent across a range of devices and wired / wireless connections)

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 19

Go to solution

Hi forum, just closing out this topic for any future readers as it seems have been resolved today thanks to the excellent support from the community mods (especially @NeilO and I guess@StuartH ) in response to this other post 

It seems there was a configuration error somewhere between Openreach and BT wholesale which meant that even though the cabinet profile had been set to 10Mbps upload, it was being limited elsewhere to 2Mbps. No Openreach engineer or BT customer support staff could find it. In the end (over the course of 3 weeks) the problem was escalated to BT's line team who located the issue during a weekly joint call with Openreach. There would have been no chance without support from the mods.

@pippincp  and @imjolly thank you for your support on this forum post also - perhaps one to store away for future that there was a real problem here which would have benefitted from a moderator referral, though I appreciate it sounds like a bit of a strange one.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 19

Go to solution

Glad to see you are sorted. It was an unusual one.

0 Ratings