cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Fibre 100 - poor connectivity and performance

Hi,

I’m after some advice from forum members please on the current bizarre situation with my BT broadband - where i’ve upgraded my speed (double what it was) but am experiencing poorer performance from the network than I previously was prior to the upgrade!

Situation is as follows:

- I upgraded from Fibre 2 (circa 66mb download speed) to Fibre 100 (retained the smart hub 2 router) about 3 weeks ago

- Openreach engineer visited my property and installed BT telephone socket and confirmed socket was receiving the 120mb

- Since then, performance of the internet has been patchy, with a number of drop outs and certain cloud based applications (G suite, outlook) slower to load than when on Fibre 2.

In terms of what I’ve tried so far to address the problem, following advice from the BT broadband team in the call centre:

- Run all the necessary diagnostic speed tests; all came back fine

- changed the router channel (made no difference)

- Openreach engineer follow up appointment ran tests on the line and confirmed no problems (suggested it was a WiFi issue)

- Installed a new smart hub 2 router (again has made no difference)

Pretty disappointed to be in a worse position despite doubling my internet speed, so keen to understand if others have experienced a similar problem and any advice of things worth trying to address the issue

thanks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Fibre 100 - poor connectivity and performance

Make sure that Smart Setup is disabled. See What is Smart Setup on the BT Hub? How can I turn it on and off? | BT Help

You may be able to achieve further improvements by changing the DNS settings on each device to use either Google, OpenDNS or Cloudfare instead of the BT DNS servers.

Message 3 of 7

Thanks @Les-Gibson I’ll give that a try

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

I've referred before, on a related thread, it's not the customer's responsibility to fix things.

Imagine buying a new motor car and being advised to crawl underneath and fiddle around with the mechanical bits!

Only with BT.

You pay.

They deliver or fix.

No exceptions in my world.

If your DD failed...and BT were told to take an old cupboard in exchange. No!

It's a contract and you do yourself no favours.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

@Kilgeever53  Broadband & a car are 2 separate things, there are numerous things out there that can affect a broadband connection & diagnostics are carried out to prove it's not a customer issue so they don't get hit with an engineer visit charge when it's discovered there's no issues on the suppliers side

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Analogy’s don’t bear close scrutiny, in your car analogy , if the new car stopped working and the owner ( because it’s new and under warranty) insisted on the supplying dealer come out and fix it , and they did , only to find the owner had filled it with the wrong fuel, hence the fault, do you think that repair would be free of charge , or deemed to fall outside the warranty and a chargeable event ?, your assertion is way to simplistic , if on the other hand something that was the dealers responsibility was at fault it would be repaired , but it wouldn’t be unreasonable for the dealer to ask a few questions before coming out...it’s the same with BT and or Openreach , a few self help questions / checks can save an unpleasant shock,  so continuing  with your car analogy ...the  supplier asking as few questions, like ‘did it stop just after re fueling ? ( answer yes ) , did you put the correct fuel in ?  , would be absolutely reasonable, protecting both sides .

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

My guess is that you have now moved from VDSL to Gfast, as I did about a year ago. Like you I kept experiencing dropouts and considerable variations in speed but no solution could be found. Then a serious fault with the system occurred (presumably at the street cabinet). That was fixed within 24 hours and I have not had any dropouts since.

I am afraid that this sort of problem can be very difficult to trace until something more substantial occurs.

0 Ratings