cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Fibre 2 - Reduced speed cap

We have had the BT Fibre 2 package for years now, and were previously getting speeds around 50Mb/s. In the last month or so it felt like that speed was reduced heavily. When I ran a speed test directly with the BT fault checker, it said we were within a "good" range - 9Mb/s! It appears that when we look to upgrade our packages, our speed range is now displayed as 8Mb/s - 9Mb/s; even though we've been getting much more than that previously.

Everywhere online seems to advertise Fibre 2 with speeds around 70 Mb/s (which would match the numbers we were getting before).

I've tried to talk to the billing department however we were simply told that out package hasn't changed, and they didn't know what the speeds we should be getting were.

Has anyone has an issue like this before where you're paying for the same package but the speed cap suddenly decreases? Or does anyone know which department I need to get in contact with to resolve this? We've upgraded to FTTP but (due to obvious reasons) an engineer is not available until March, so we'd like to get this resolved in the mean time to tide us over until that date.

Thanks,

Sam 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Fibre 2 - Reduced speed cap

@samjo 

Welcome to this user forum.

Enter your phone number into this form and display the results here, but edit out your phone number before you post the results.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Message 3 of 7

Hi Keith, thanks for replying.

Here's a screencap with my landline removed. 😊

Screenshot 2021-01-21 090352.png

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

I would say that you have a disconnected or very noisy phone line. Can you get dial tone?

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

We have a dial tone, however when phoning 17070 it was very crackly, and when doing the quiet line test there was some amount of noise in between.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

which master do you have

Keith_Beddoe_0-1577035081757.jpegMaster socket types.jpeg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

@samjo wrote:
We have a dial tone, however when phoning 17070 it was very crackly, and when doing the quiet line test there was some amount of noise in between.

Then you need to report a noisy phone line, not a broadband fault. Use the online reporting page, and select "landline"  There is an option for poor quality phone calls. Do not mention the broadband issue, or it could end up in the wrong fault queue.

A line test will be run which may or may not detect a fault.

If it does not detect a fault, and you have checked you line at the test socket, then you will have to request a visit from Openreach.

Once the noisy line is fixed, your broadband will get better.