cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Fibre 2 hub constantly disconnecting

Hi we got a fibre 2 broadband router in 2017 and our hub has never been replaced. The last few months, the hub has been quite unreliable, disconnecting randomly or it disconnects when the landline rings.

This weekend it has gotten really bad, disconnecting and taking a really long time to reconnect (it took an hour to reconnect last night). When it was off for so long last night I did test the landline to see if there was any noise and there wasn't.

I see the fibre 2 hub is still a current option on BT, is it possible to get the hub replaced if it's not working properly? I don't particularly want to upgrade as all the upgrade options are at least £20 extra a month so a significant expense.

Any help/response gratefully received. Very fed up of poor internet connection when trying to work from home!

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Fibre 2 hub constantly disconnecting

if you are dropping connection when phone rings have you tried replacing the filter or if filtered master socket tried using the test socket with a filter to see if that helps your stability by eliminating your master faceplate and also any internal extension wiring

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

I don't know what any of that means!

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

@im235 wrote:

I don't know what any of that means!

What does your master phone socket look like?

Keith_Beddoe_0-1577035081757.jpegKeith_Beddoe_1-1577035100602.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

It's the last one.

After doing a service status and there seemingly to be nothing wrong, it turns out there is an Openreach issue so they are sending an engineer out. Not sure why it couldn't say this on the service status!

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Your master socket faceplate just clips on without screws so check it it is securely fixed in place as there are posts where it had been knocked loose and caused connection problems

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

@im235 wrote:

It's the last one.

After doing a service status and there seemingly to be nothing wrong, it turns out there is an Openreach issue so they are sending an engineer out. Not sure why it couldn't say this on the service status!

That master socket is known to give problems, and is most likely the cause of the problem

As mentioned https://community.bt.com/t5/Landline/2019-Master-Socket-kit-loose/m-p/1985566#M6775

You need to connect things up as shown below, and see if you still get disconnections. Leave it like that for a few days.

NTE 5C Test socket checkNTE 5C Test socket checkNTE 5C Test socket check

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

I had a similar problem.    I have BT fibre to cabinet but have recently noticed increasing noise on the landline; then I found I was getting broadband disconnections if my landline rang.  My main socket (which was already installed when I moved in to a new-build apartment) is the BT/Openreach NTE 5C socket with the (then) standard single outlet.  I have been using it with a filter to my Smart Hub 2, with a filter also installed on the 'phone extension to my landline cordless base station.  This is the recommended set-up, but I think that the house wiring on the landline at the socket itself can still cause interference.

For me the solution was to replace the original faceplate on the main socket with a Mk 4 faceplate; the Mk 4 has one phone and one broadband outlet, and both are filtered internally before the outlets.  This is a very cheap and easy fix if you already have the NTE 5C socket.  The faceplate is only held in place by clips and released by pressing on the two sides - the faceplate plugs into the plate behind it; there's no wiring involved.  You can buy a new NTE 5C socket with the Mark 4 faceplate (the faceplate's not available as a separate item), and all you need to do is remove the old faceplate from your existing socket and replace it with the Mk 4 faceplate.  You are left with the additional components from the new socket bits that are identical to those in your existing socket, but as the whole new unit is only £11.99 from Amazon it's not a big deal.

This eliminates the need for additional in-line filters on both your broadband and phone line; since installing mine I've had no broadband outages and I have a much quieter landline - and as the swap doesn't involve any interference with the socket wiring there's no requirement to call out (and pay for) an engineer.

Two points to note:

1.  The outlet for the 'phone is a BT phone type, and for the broadband is RJ11, so you will need a suitable lead to connect to your hub if that's not what you have already.

2.  The 'phone outlet on the faceplate and any home landline sockets will not be suitable for broadband - i.e. you won't be able to plug your hub into a phone extension socket.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Thanks for your reply. It turned out it was actually a problem with the wiring from the DP into our flat and then also an issue with wiring from the box down the road that leads into the building. Wiring had to be replaced on both counts!

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Not surprised; the copper that runs from the cabinet to the property is the limiting factor with broadband - it was certainly a problem at our last property.  Where I am now the line interference/disconnection has been the only issue - I consistently get 73-74Mbps Download and 18-18.5Mbps Upload; that's measured at my Mac, which is connected to my Hub via Gigabit Ethernet.

0 Ratings