cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 20

Fibre 2 minimum speed

Can anyone tell me what the guaranteed minimum speeds are, if there are such things?

I have tried BT chat but they did not answer me, just tested the line and said anything above 25 download speed is good.

We are always suffering with buffering, etc. when watching TV.

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20

Re: Fibre 2 minimum speed

there is no actual minimum speed as everyone is different with different connection

please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 20

The speed of your line is governed by the distance you are from the cabinet. Every line is unique.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 20

What if I have a Smart hub? @imjolly 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 20

@kwaker5 

A SmartHub is either the HH6 (SmartHub) or the SH2 (SmartHub 2) that @imjolly refers to.

Message 6 of 20

Your individual minimum speed is specific to your ‘line’ and is quoted when your order or renew service with your ISP,

FTTC is rate adaptive, that means the speed is reduced depending on the environment ( mainly line length ) , so if someone has a line that can only provide ( for example ) 40Mb , then Fibre 2 ( 80Mb ) would still only provide 40Mb , and the actual speed for Fibre 1 or 2 would be the same ( switching to F2 doesn’t magically change the line characteristics ) , so it’s not the case that anyone can say ( for example) 65Mb minimum for F2 …it doesn’t work like that, the figures to take notice of are the ones that are individual to your line , you can get an idea by using this DSL checker, 

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

The advertising authorities ( in my opinion ) confuse the matter by requiring ISP to quote the average speed all customers on a particular product get, so the adverts say Fibre 2 average 68Mb ( or whatever) , but that averages out all F2 customers , I get 80 Mb on F2 because the cab is close by, someone else could get 40Mb on F2 , our average is 60Mb , it understates my speed and overstates the other customer, imagine that over possibly millions of BT FTTC customers , the average becomes a waste of time and could mislead someone on a long line (that will only get 40Mb on F2 ) that they are being short changed when the don’t get the ‘average’ 60Mb+

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 20

Thanks for all the replies.  BT sent me a report after the online chat and it seems there is a minumum speed and it's 25 Mbps.  Our line was at 29Mbps, which is poor considering the average is supposed to be 67Mbps.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 20

@kwaker5 

The average speeds is exactly that an average speed achieved by customers so there will be some with greater then 67 and others with ?Ower speed. Unfortunately probably due to your distance from the street cabinet you are in the lower side 

If you cannot get a connection speed in excess of 55mb then you should be on fibre 1 not fibre 2

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 20

Unfortunately the laws of physics are immutable.

There is no point in having fibre 2 with those speeds, you might as well downgrade to fibre 1 if it is cheaper.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 20

I wondered that but given you get less than half what you pay for, it would make things even worse!
0 Ratings