cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Fibre 2 speed issues

Go to solution

I've been struggling with deteriorating line speed over recent months, which I have been putting up with to date but these clearly aren't getting any better ... so some help/advice would be welcome.

I'm on a Fibre 2 package, and when first commissioned was regularly pulling download speeds close to 70Mbps and was very happy. About two years ago our home hub got flaky (constantly dropping wifi connections) so I replaced with a TP-link VR2800 which solved the issues, and have been using that ever since. However, speed tests have progressively got worse, first dropping down to 40Mbps, and more recently 10-20Mbps.

This evening I have removed the faceplate from the mastersocket and connected directly to the test port with a filter to make sure it wasn't a faulty filter in the faceplate.

I'm on Fowlmere, cabinet 2:

ex_bo_driver_0-1593732476611.png

Quiet line test is okay

Speed test looks terrible (run from a laptop on an ethernet cable) ...

ex_bo_driver_1-1593732560327.png

We fairly regularly get short connection drops every few days, and I also regularly see Openreach vans at the exchange and suspect that may be running close to capacity which may not be helping.

The DSL stats from the router are below (with the connection time reflecting I had just bypassed the face plate on the socket).

DSL.PNG

What do folks advise? How can I get our speeds back up to the service that I am paying for? All help would be most welcome!

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Fibre 2 speed issues

Go to solution

have you checked you have a dial tone on your phone?  if there is a tone dial 17070 option 2 line should be silent apart from announcement   any noise is a problem and needs reported to 151 as phone fault

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Yes, I have a dial tone and the quiet line test on 17070 showed no noise between announcements

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

then you need to phone 151 and get engineer visit as your speeds are well below expected range

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Okay, will do

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

An engineer came to site today and identified that our circuit was still connected to the lightning protection in the local pillar and was sending the signal to ground. With that fixed, and a new master socket fitted for good measure, we are now back up to 58Mbps download and 14Mbps upload - and hopefully a little more when it stabilises.

Thanks for encouraging me to get someone out to investigate!

0 Ratings