cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Fibre 2 speeds and DSL uptime reducing

Good morning all, get your coffee ready this could be a long one!

I have been with BT since 2017 when starting on the old Fibre 1 FTTC deal. In 2020 I upgraded to Fibre with Halo 2 (up to 80mb) in the assumption my speeds would increase as, according to the btwholesale checker my VDSL ranges were a minimum of approximately 65mb. Over the past 3 months my DSL uptime and sync rate have been decreasing to the point I'm now back pretty much at what I was on before upgrading. DSL uptime use to be very stable with 30+ days online and no interruptions, however recently it seems to only sync for 7 or even 14 days and then reboot overnight. What is causing these issues? 

Faceplate? NTE5c fitted on master socket with Smart Hub 2 connected next to it. 

Quiet Line Test? Corded phone repeatedly reveals only a constant distant hiss sound which isn't loud (sounds almost electrical), this is noticeable even when phone is muted. Little bit of a crackle when you accidentally budge the faceplate cover. Only appliance plugged in close to it is a dimmable touch lamp. BT TV box is connected opposite end of room via BT mini connector.

Distance from Cabinet? Approx 300-350m from green cabinet, underground cables.

Router Stats: Two screenshots attached show today when it appears it disconnected at 4am after an uptime of 7 days and another what it was like when I got a new faceplate fitted (just before I upgraded to fibre 2). Speeds have been up to nearly 60mb in the past 6 months but then it just seems to fade back down even with a stable connection.

Stats 030322.JPGstatsafterfaceplate.jpg

latest btwholesalechecker.jpg
Note: that 'NTE Faceplate' is showing as 'N' however sometimes it will show as 'P'. All extension wiring has been removed. The only connection is the smart hub directly into the master socket. Max observed downstream speed has decreased as I had higher values in previous observations.

Now comparing the expected line stats as a current customer vs new customer for broadband deals is...interesting! 🤔 On my BT account it says my download speed range is 46-51mb, this repeatedly changes and keeps decreasing every month. However, if I say I am a new customer and put in my address, the expected download range is 59-73mb. 
btcurrentcustomer.JPGbtoffernewcustomer.JPG

I know I am probably clutching at straws but I just need some kind of clarification on this. Happy to discuss more until I turn into Jeremy Clarkson and ask for a hammer 😄

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Fibre 2 speeds and DSL uptime reducing

have you tried connecting to the test socket and try quiet line test again with corded phone.  If you can hear any noise then that is a problem and need reported as phone fault to 151 - quiet line test should be silent

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

by looking at that it seams you have noise on the line this can be a fault and dm kicking in more which reducing your speeds if the router is rebooting alot you can ask openrech to reset the line to get the speeds they can fix the noise if they put you in a slot in the cabnet that should be for far away houses thats were the noise is coming from they have slots in the cabnet for closer houses this should fix the noise level you having and internet issues you need to book a appoment to get openreach out if there is a slot to spare in the cabnet ask them to move you in that maybe fix this issue
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

have you tried connecting to the test socket and try quiet line test again with corded phone.  If you can hear any noise then that is a problem and need reported as phone fault to 151 - quiet line test should be silent

Tried two scenarios:

Phone directly into test socket - again very only slight hiss which sounds more like the electrical aspect rather than interference? It was a bit more noticeable if I didn't have mute on the phone selected.

Phone into microfilter then into test socket - no obvious noise but it sounded a bit more muffled/less clear.

Hub now connected to test socket, no noticeable change in speed (never has been in past when testing it).

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

@jackralston

as noise still there when using test socket then phone 151 and report phone fault.  you could try moving the dimmer light further from hub as dimmer may cause interference

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

@DaveJWalker  There is no such thing as a slot for far away houses and a slot for closer ones. I think you are getting confused with VM which does have different outputs for near and far.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

they do have it in openreach i bet you never asked them fibre to cabnet they are little diff but works the same way they put closer onces at the top and at the bottom goes up to 0.5 miles around it but vm only does up to the mb you signed for but it works the same way
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

It’s absolute nonsense that the ports inside an Openreach FTTC ( cabinet ) are allocated on distance to the customers address….the kit is rate adaptive, that’s why shorter lines get better speeds than longer distances ( subject to the profile maximum ), nothing to do with some ports are long line ports and some are for shorter lines

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

@DaveJWalker do stop posting your absolute drivel, you are not helping.