Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 33

Fibre 900 Upgrade has not (yet) increased download speed

Go to solution

Hi

I upgraded from Fibre 250 to Fibre 900 and the upgrade went through overnight.

I am getting increased Upload speeds at a consistent 110mbps which is great

However the download speed seems to be slower than under my previous package of Fibre 250 (or 300, can't remember what it was called but the previous fastest speed). The speeds upload speeds I am getting now (to my wifi device vary between 140 and 200 using the My BT app and Speedtest. I appreciate that wifi can run slower than the wired connection. I can't test a wired connection as I don't have a device with an ethernet port

In addition, the My BT app on the phone - when running a speed test - used to show "Speed to the Hub" and previously showed a consistent 292mbps to the hub. But at the moment it's only showing the "Hub to device" speeds so I can't tell if the 900mbps speed is reaching the house.

I have a Smart Hub 2. Additionally the "track my order" in my account is confusing as it says complete but not all the stages are ticked in green.

My question is whether I should expect an increase in download speed to come later once an additional step is completed somewhere on the backend? Or something else?

many thanks in advance

Col.

0 Ratings
32 REPLIES 32
Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 33

Re: Fibre 900 Upgrade has not (yet) increased download speed

Go to solution

The speed to a WiFi device is always going to vary and will always be lower than the 900Mbps you're paying for.

Unfortunately the only way you're going to be able to see if the speed has increased (I have a feeling it has) is to test via Ethernet on a Gigabit capable Network card.

Do you know what chip your WiFi devices have? or what WiFi devices they are and I can find out. Also are you using 2.4GHz or 5GHz?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 33

Go to solution

Same here. Upload has increased but not download. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 33

Go to solution

OK I just took the phone I was using to do the tests (ipnone 11 802.11ax) and stood right next to the router and got a download speed of 400mbps so I'm reasonably happy that I'm getting a fast enough speed coming into the house

many thanks for your help!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 33

Go to solution

I've recently upgraded to 900 but getting mad 180down.

As consumers it's not our role to understand network cards, GHz, 2.4, etc.

I take the car to the expert. 

Waited a week. Nothing. I understand it's unusual circumstances.

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 6 of 33

Go to solution

@Kilgeever53wrote:

I've recently upgraded to 900 but getting mad 180down.

As consumers it's not our role to understand network cards, GHz, 2.4, etc.

It is unreasonable to expect BT to know every bit of equipment you have at home. There are so many variables but the vast majority are satisfied.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 7 of 33

Go to solution

@colin_nealwrote:

OK I just took the phone I was using to do the tests (ipnone 11 802.11ax) and stood right next to the router and got a download speed of 400mbps so I'm reasonably happy that I'm getting a fast enough speed coming into the house

many thanks for your help!

Just an idea as I encountered something similar a good while back although not with the supersonic connection you are enjoying. Would your computer happen to be either a Dell or an HP? I ask because they usually come with added software that sometimes affects "speeds".  Further, have you checked the user guide to ascertain whether your wireless card can support these sort of speeds?

(We're off shopping now, so perhaps one of the forum's experts may offer some better technical advice)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 33

Go to solution

Hi everyone - thanks for the help with this. I managed to plug in an Ethernet Cable into a desktop PC and I am getting around 850 to 900 mbps now 

I guess it's just the my bt app that doesnt' show the "speed to the hub" and only "speed to the device" after the upgrade that was throwing me

All good here now. thanks again

Col.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 33

Go to solution
Every bit of equipment. Hmmm
Electricity provider copes..... kettle, fridge, cooker, different brands etc......
Which may reinforce my point that the consumer cannot be expected to understand the complexities of the service provided. We pay in good faith and, not unreasonably, expect it to function as agreed in the contract.
If the money I paid to a provider was faulty ( cheque bounced, bitcoin, Roman coin, medieval groat, lack of funds) the provider would, pdq, be having words......and with little interest in the many variables in my life.
I said I understand these are unique times. However, many people are having issues with the 900.
If it doesn't work as advertised, withdraw it, fix it.
This is what trials are for.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 33

Go to solution

Mine is still the same, download speed has actually reduced from what we were on before  

0 Ratings