Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 11 of 33

Re: Fibre 900 Upgrade has not (yet) increased download speed

Go to solution

Mine too.

As I wrote in a post last week, the home Hub 2 introduction has coincided with the slower download.

I'm being informative. I'm not complaining. Unusual times, staffing shortage, travel restrictions etc.

Regardless, we have a duty to inform.

Keep safe 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 12 of 33

Go to solution

I have upgraded to Fibre 900 overnight  and like other people have seen no increase in my hardwired gigabit pc download speed.  Upload  has  however doubled to 110. 
I have reset the ONT but this has made no difference.

i am using a Draytek 2860 router

Fast.com report 280 download and 110 Upload with settings of 260 and 130

Any ideas how to get the download speed up?

Thanks

Richard 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 13 of 33

Go to solution

@RichardIncewrote:

i am using a Draytek 2860 router

Did you not check the specs page for your router?

Firewall: Up to 300Mb/s max

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 33

Go to solution

@RichardInce  Unfortunately several people are in a similar position including myself with poor download speeds on Fibre900. Although I’ve an Orbi mesh I’ve left the Smarthub2 in place whilst BT investigate but the fault was closed today and it’s no better. If you’ve tried powering down the ONT, leaving it 5 mins and testing with a direct PC to ONT connection it’s probably time to call the FTTP team and keep an eye on the other thread

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/BT-Fibre-900-Upgrade-Smart-Hub-2-upload-throttling/td...

The vast majority of the FTTP team I’ve spoken with are helpful but if they push back (examples I’ve heard - it needs 14 days to settle, it’s your router, it’s your switch, it’s your Wi-fi even if the results are from both a direct connection to the ONT / Smarthub2, it’s reported one test that’s the minimum guaranteed speed so nothings wrong) just call again and talk to someone different in the team. Best of luck! We’re all waiting and hoping it’s a common cause BT can fix.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 15 of 33

Go to solution
Thanks for this, my pc is showing less on the BTopenworld Speedtest 180 ish compared to the 250 ish that I was getting on the Fibre 300 package. Would this be the router?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 16 of 33

Go to solution

@RichardInce  I found the BT speed test site to be quite low, I find fast.com to be able to handle the fastest speeds. For a more sustained test, if you have them, try Steam or Epic Games stores and download a large game, they also seem to be able to provide good speeds

I'm getting about 450-550 across all kinds of tests and services

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 17 of 33

Go to solution

Aware this has been resolved, but can I just add, I'm well aware I won't achieve the speeds of 700+ considering I'm wireless and distance between PC and router. Also bought an adaptor that works with the AX connection, bit of a boost in speeds. Sitting at 350/400 odd completely wireless. Will be looking to setup a wire running from router through to loft and down the side wall to my office to take advantage of the speeds.

But what I will say... the customer service that BT have provided me with has been on par with Amazon. I cannot fault them, yeah I might be paying a lot for my broadband but if this is the customer service I get then I'll happily pay it. I had one advisor on the phone helping me with looking at different avenues I could speed up my connection WITHOUT paying for the wifi discs, considering I bought an adaptor out of my own pocket. Most companies would force the advisors to sling their own productto gain extra cash.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 18 of 33

Go to solution

Had an interesting evening testing, results are

1. PC plugged directly into ONT download between 475 - 633 Mbps upload 119

2. PC into BT Hub download 851 upload always 50 

3. WiFi performance via BT HUB and Ubiquity Nano HD - Ipad Pro download 246 upload 48 this is similar to old Fibre 300 speed and must be Apple limitation.

4 WiFi performance via BT HUB  and Ubiquity Nano HD - Iphone X   download 161  upload 49  this is similar to old Fibre 300 speed and must be Apple limitation.

5 PC into Draytec 2860 download 278 and Upload 119 caused by download limit on Draytec

In summary Fibre 300 was working well and I went to fibre  900 because it was available and thought it would make everything go quicker.  In reality the Apple devices used in the family were already below the WiFi performance of my network and broadband so I am seeing little gain.

As I use 8 Ubiquity Nano HD access points in the house I have decided to future proof the performance and order a Ubiquity Dream machine pro to replace my Draytec. Over the top at the moment but hopefully phones, tablets and BT fibre speeds will progress over its lifetime.

Don't understand why going via the ONT and Draytec gives 119 upload but BT Hub restricted speed to 50 upload but as I will not use the BT Hub wont be an issue.

Thanks to the people who gave me pointers earlier today.

So Fibre 900 looks to be working and I now understand the limitations of the non BT devices used in the house. Won't get much higher download speeds than my Fibre 300 but upload will double and there is much more bandwidth to share between everyone.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 19 of 33

Go to solution
Not 100% sure but don't you need to have a network card/motherboard that is capable of handling the AX band?

My iPhone/iPad are limited to roughly 300-400 as they don't have the AX chip, I believe its the iPhone 11 XR onwards that has it?

At the moment I am getting poor results because I am wireless but at somepoint I will be running a cable through the channels within the walls and hardwire my pc up.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 20 of 33

Go to solution

@RichardInce  

“Don't understand why going via the ONT and Draytec gives 119 upload but BT Hub restricted speed to 50 upload but as I will not use the BT Hub wont be an issue.”

It’s a known issue with the BT Hub, several people had this including myself. It coincided with me re-grading to Fibre900, I didn’t see the upload cap with either Fibre250 or Fibre500. A call to the FTTP team prompted them to connect to my BT Hub and change a setting I don’t think we have access to. 

0 Ratings