Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 21 of 33

Re: Fibre 900 Upgrade has not (yet) increased download speed

Go to solution

@RichardIncewrote:

1. PC plugged directly into ONT download between 475 - 633 Mbps upload 119

I am surprised you don't get a higher download speed with your PC - which network card does it have - is it a Realtek?  Are you running any AntiVirus software on your PC - if so try disabling it for the speed test.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 22 of 33

Go to solution

ubiquity Dream Machine Pro router was delivered today and installed tonight. It runs  its own speedtest and showed 905 down and 122 Up So bang on what BT sold me.

WiFi performance via BT HUB and Ubiquity Nano HD - Ipad Pro was download 246 upload 48 Now download 282 and upload 118 

WiFi performance via BT HUB  and Ubiquity Nano HD - Iphone X  Was  download 161  upload 49  Now 258  down and 126 up

PC hardwired using USB 3   Now 657 and Upload 119 , standard HO Realtek slower, suspect New PC would go quicker but this is good.

Am sure BT Hub 2 would have been ok when the upload speed had been sorted but as I have 9 Ubiquity Nano HD access points I like the seamless app interface with the Dream Machine Pro and also the firewall runs at 3.5 GBPS with IDS/IPS enabled.

Hopefully when I next need a new  IPhone and IPad the hardware will support a faster network speed.  Sky need to move to Gigabit and new smart TV’s need Also to be gigabit! 

I live in the countryside, a mile out of the village, 18 months ago I got  12 down and 0.5 up So am really happy that BT and Suffolk County Council got together to improve rural broadband. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 23 of 33

Go to solution

Richard, I'm delighted for you but I have no idea what you're talking about, other than BT and Download.

Clearly this is an area you have detailed interest in.

My detailed interests are other.  I think you are suggesting BT should use different hardware etc. You have helped BT achieve their target by investing in time and perhaps money to get a system which works best for you.

Most people would not do this. For various reasons.

My newest car drives really well. I have no need to change any major components, if you get my meaning.

Thanks for showing BT that it can be done and hopefully they'll talk to you soon!

Kind regards

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 24 of 33

Go to solution

The reason I posted my speeds and setup was to point out the restrictions of other devices on the network to save disappointment when upgrading to 900 mbps and then in reality not achieving anywhere near that except on a PC which I don’t download much on anyway. 
The major issue I had was my 3rd party router which only supplied 300mpbs and I decided not to use the  BT Hub because I have in the past lost port forwards on BT Hub updates.
 Using  Ubiquiti Nano HD Access points in the house it made sense  to go for Their Dream Machine Pro  which uses the same management app and Has a much higher throughput than 900mbps  (3.5 gigabit)

Older houses with cat 5 not cat 5e Cable will struggle  as will  people with non Gigabit switches which will restrict performance.

A Ferrari or other top Performance car  will have all the components to achieve the max  stated speed Engine , gearbox and  aerodynamics.  People wanting 900 mbps in the home will most likely not just want a single Wi-fi access point and  most likely have some other hardwired  equipment this needs to be matched with the 900 mbps throughput of the Hub or the benefits of the higher throughput will not be possible. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 25 of 33

Go to solution

I've just solved my upgrade from superfast 300 to 900 issue with download speed. Needed to factory reset the (non BT) router (ASUS GT-AC2900).

Was showing 450 now 900. Took me a few days to work out the fix! Hope this helps someone.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 26 of 33

Go to solution

Same here on WiFi by router, but when I plugged laptop into router directly I was only getting 400-450 mb download not the 1000 - halo guy here for a second time to tell me all the kits new so it should work? Plonker - he didn’t even plug himself directly into router..... oh and FYI I asked him if my home hub 2 needed an update and he said “I am not aware of ANY update for the hub” I’m currently still on a version 15 firmware - guys stealing. A living and BT you are making me fed up!  Ofcom next 450 not 1000? But BT helpline say” I’m seeing 750, no wait 600, no wait 650, no wait 700.....erm come on plonkers there is an issue with your service admit it!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 27 of 33

Go to solution

@Kingjed  my fibre 900 sounds as bad as yours. 4 weeks and counting without a fix 😕 I’m beginning to think they don’t know how to fix it. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 28 of 33

Go to solution

I'm beginning to think the same. If there was a solution ( of which they were aware, surely action would be taken..... unless they are not aware.....but if they read this forum...).

Anyway, too many have expressed dissatisfaction for it to be client errors.

One poster, clearly informed and erudite in these matters has offered suggestions which BT might well adopt if informed.

The bottom line is...if it ain't working, new people ain't gonna buy.

I'm on a 24 month contract but have never achieved more than 221dl and 124ul.

Ah well, the tales pile up. Good luck wherever you are.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 29 of 33

Go to solution

Mine had been very stable,  PC with new network adapter is getting over 800 down and 120 up so happy. My initial problem was my 3rd party router did not support the high speed. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 30 of 33

Go to solution

Has anyone been given money back for not getting the sure fast speeds?

I was connected FTTP 900 on the 17th June.  Told the engineer I wasn't getting the speeds he suggested switching all off and starting again.  Also waiting for over 24 hours.  He did say I shouldn't have to wait 24 hours on fttp but the older FTTC would have had a settling in time and therefore BT follow the same for FTTP.  After 24 Hours I phoned BT to tell them speeds hadn't increased.  They done a check and said there might be an issue on the line and asked for an engineer to come out.  Meanwhile fibre team contacted me to say there was no issue.  Engineer came out done a wired speed test on his laptop and was getting 275ish Download same as me.   He tested the fibre and said it is more than enough for full speeds that there must be a cap or setting on the BT side.  

BT Fibre team then said yes we are aware of an issue on your line.  Please disconnect all devices turn off the hub and ONT for 5mins turn back on and reconnect and let us know the results in 24 hours.  Still only getting between 275 - 390 Download.  The only consistent speed I am getting is upload which is always around the 100up.  Getting mixed messages from different departments and also Open reach agreeing with me that there are BT issues.  Are they reducing the speeds because more people at home?  How can some customers get the full speed and some can't?  Has anyone been able to change contract cost to align with the lower speeds they are getting?

I am only testing speeds wired to the PC -  Wireless I can get up to about 350 and 105 but it is so inconsistent hence why I am not using a wireless speed as example.

0 Ratings