cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 31 of 43

Re: Fibre 900 Upgrade has not (yet) increased download speed

Go to solution

I just plugged mine direct into router and got a blip (couple of initials seconds) at 980MB then it slowly reduced down to the 200-250 mark, i then set up a direct PPPoE connection to the ONT box on the wall and the exact same thing happened, seems to be speeds are there but not holding, so I wonder if its the issue they have but wont elaborate on where speeds are dropping on speed test sites?

Cube engineer here tomorrow, AGAIN! bearing in mind this is the chap that came last time, did not do a direct connection wired to router test last time, and also told me he was not aware of any updates for the home hub 2 (when i am only on a version 15.xxxx and I know they are now running on a v16.xxx) so there is an update, but if speeds are not holding out of the ONT it wont make a difference doing anything to the router.

I don't know what could be causing this as I am a cheesemaker not an IT expert, anyone got any ideas?

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 32 of 43

Go to solution

@moving123 I’ve not asked for any good will gesture/refund/reduction so far.

I’m really looking to get BT to fix my Fibre900 first and foremost.

However, my 14 day cooling off period was left open whilst they work on the problem though.

Its weird because Fibre250 and Fibre500 both provided performance well above expectations and were completely stable for me expect for 1 fault with the Fibre500 that motivated me (aka forced by BT) to move to Fibre900 to get help.

Fibre900 speeds seem erratic even with enterprise hardware in place.

They’re moving my VLAN again this week in the hope it fixes it.

Have the FTTP team definitely double checked your profile is correct?

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 33 of 43

Go to solution

@Kingjed do you have a Smarthub 2? If so, mines was Firmware v0.17.01.12301-BT just before I unplugged it so even an upgrade to v16 would still not be the latest.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 34 of 43

Go to solution

Are you guys still having problems?

I've been trying to get this fixed for the last 2 months.

Our development had Fibre installed 3 months ago, I am one of only a handful of people with it installed so capacity shouldn't be an issue.

I have a full wifi 6 mesh setup, as well as a gigabit network on the ground floor.

I had the problem of upload speed staying pegged at around 50mb, upgraded from the 500mb package to the 900mb package in an attempt to fix it, I was then getting a max of 870mb down and 70 up.

After BT supposedly checking the curve profile numerous times, they sent out Openreach engineers on 3 occasions, line checked, light down the line really strong (-18db), even the poor Openreach engineers were getting stroppy with BT over the phone saying to them "if you don't know how to handle this product, you shouldn't sell it".

Eventually, someone a BT found that the profile wasn't right and my upload sprang up to 120mb, at last! But immediately my download dropped to around 600mb, not only that, its now erratic, where as before it would quickly ramp up to the 800's and stay there, it now hits 520 briefly before sliding down to around 350mb!

COME ON BT, THIS IS A 1GB LINE, the fact you sell it as 900mb already shows a lack of confidence in your product.

If they cannot see the fact that a line that was happily running at 800mb+ and now struggles to see over 500mb as a problem what can we do.

If I hear "its over our guaranteed minimum" one more time I'm going to scream!

Unfortunately, the training BT seem to provide their staff seems to be inadequate as they still seem to treat FTTP  connections the same as old copper ADSL, "maybe your property is too far away", "the line may need a couple of weeks to stabilise" etc, all complete nonsense!

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 35 of 43

Go to solution

"'If I hear "its over our guaranteed minimum" one more time I'm going to scream!"'

Exactly. Thank you for echoing my sentiment.

BT advertised 900 dl. At no point did it mention certain provisos. Nor did it suggest I should be well informed vis a vis technical details. As I have already said.... when buying a new car I am not expected to crawl beneath with a torch, test the torque converter ( I've heard that's a real thing). And when it only goes at 30kmph the dealer/manufacturer doesn't make excuses.

It's 900 or it ain't. I'm tied to it for a further 18 months. Frustrating? Certainly. Vitally important? Certainly not.

But there is a fundamental issue at the heart of this.

I'm sorry you are unhappy with the situation but delighted nevertheless because I'm not alone.

Shielding since March, I remain yours, gaga and patient.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 36 of 43

Go to solution

If I don’t get anywhere in the next week, I’m getting in touch with OfCom.

No other industry would you be able to sell a product and face no comeback if it’s 50% less than advertised.

I understand that they need to allow some headroom for things like spikes in demand etc but to be getting only getting 450-550 when I should be getting 900, plus the line has already demonstrated it can go over 800, come on BT, TAKE SONE RESPONSIBILITY, admit it’s a fault.

The annoying thing is, it will end up being a wrong software configuration somewhere, nothing hardware at all. 

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 37 of 43

Go to solution

I shan't stalk you...but I get max 220 ( 5% of the time perhaps).

Usually between 40 and 120. 

But their machines say I'm getting 450 ( the magic safety net!) So that's ok.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 38 of 43

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 39 of 43

Go to solution

Thanks for the signpost.

Cheers fellow traveller.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 40 of 43

Go to solution

@Kilgeever53  we may have stumbled upon something worth trying.

If you have any spare ethernet cables lying around, could you try replacing the ethernet cable between the ONT and your Smart Hub2 with a different cable and see if that makes any difference.  Might be worth trying a few if you have them,

0 Ratings