cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 30

Re: Fibre 900 daily slow speeds and connection issues

This is the wall where the wire comes in the house: https://imgur.com/StaO4X1 is that same as everyone elses ?

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 30

My cable comes in from underground, the fibre cable has a black cover with an almost human hair thick white fibre inside.

You would have noticed the machine if the engineer had used it, it came in its own flight case and was fairly bulky. 

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 30

Hi @r0ss2k3,

Thanks for taking the time to post. 

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with your FTTP connection. While we can't help you directly we can try and find somebody who can help.  I've sent you a Private Message with details on how you can get in contact with the mod team.

Thanks

Matt

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 30

Thank you very much for that, very much appreciated.  Unfortunately I didnt get a chance to save it befor e it was removed from the forum.  It would appear that someone does not want these details known to the public!!!

The engineer only had a drill and some hand tools from memory, could be wrong though as stupidly trusted that they were profesionals.

I woke up to an email this morning to book an engineer, followed the link on the email and it takes you to the broadband test page, there was nowehere for me to book an engineer, so had to call again, another hour of my time wasted.

Have just spoke to guy from openreach who was in the street, finally someone who was actually helpful!  Transpires that the council objected to where one of the fibre poles were located so they were told to disconnect and take it down.  He said BT were informed of this long before the pole and service was removed (possibly before my install).  The fibre now need re routed and I am looking at about another week before I can get any internet.  He suggested that BT hook me up via copper however that was completely removed when the fibre was installed.  I explained all the issues I have been having and his opinion was that it was never connected correctly to start with and that pre pole removal no errors were present on their part.

Complete catalogue of errors from start to finish.

Just remembered one bit of advice the lady I spoke to from BT yesterday told me - "You can always contact another providor and switch".

So BT cannot phone Openreach and cannot contact them at all acording to the lady yesterday, yet the helpfull guy today gave me his number.

I do appreciate that extra info and wish I had saved it before it was removed and really hope when the engineer comes I will be provided with a 4g temp router 

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 30

Hi Matt-S,

I have no PM's.  I can also only assume that you were the person who removed the contact details for me to complain at a higher level.  Thats pretty poor and surely all customers should have access to such information.  Transparency is a wonderful thing.  If anyone does wish to help then such information should be freely available.  I can see how these matters are usualy concluded however I strongly believe in sharing experiances in the hope that new customers are aware of the negatives provided by a company and not just the false promises.  If someone reads this thread and garners an awareness of what could happen to them then that is a definate possitive, I wish I had read such threads before taking the plunge.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 30

Hi @r0ss2k3,

Thanks for your message, I'm sorry that you didn't receive my private message I have sent another one. Please can you let me know if you get it?

The information was removed for two reasons, one of which was because it broke our terms of us:

6.3 You must not upload, post, or otherwise transmit any content (including but not limited to text, links, communications, software, images, sounds, data, or other information) that includes any of the following inappropriate content: a) any personal information belonging either to the poster or another person, such as full name, address, phone number, personal email address, and BT reference numbers;

An Openreach employee's full name was included in the post. The second reason is that the contact details are for Openreach and this isn't an Openreach issue. If you contact Openreach you will be directed back to your service provider.

I agree with you that transparency is a wonderful thing and we have not removed any of the negative comments about the service or the problems you are facing. We have only removed incorrect contact details and an Openreach employees personal information.

Thanks 

Matt

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 30

Matt-S

I am afraid you are not following the rules correctly but rather misinterperating them or manipulating them for own benefit. 

The details posted did not fall into the realms of personal information. 

What was posted is information that should be in the public domain, all be it well hidden by BT.  Details of any CEO or higher management for a company that is publicly traded should not be removed or hidden.  Personal details would include home phone number,  date of birth anything directly identifiable to an individual however does not include job title, office addresses, work phone numbers etc.

If you go way back to one of my original posts you will see a BT refrence number, which to this point remains there.

Same goes for the Openreach senior managers.

A persons name is not personal information especialy when it is related to a position of management within a company.  Unless of course linked to something other than employment or something that is unique to the individual (ie. date of birth, NI number etc).  A work email is not personal either.

Hate splitting hairs or sounding petty but that was bad form.

0 Ratings
SeanD
Community Manager - Retired
Message 18 of 30

@r0ss2k3 wrote:

Matt-S

I am afraid you are not following the rules correctly but rather misinterperating them or manipulating them for own benefit. 

The details posted did not fall into the realms of personal information. 

What was posted is information that should be in the public domain, all be it well hidden by BT.  Details of any CEO or higher management for a company that is publicly traded should not be removed or hidden.  Personal details would include home phone number,  date of birth anything directly identifiable to an individual however does not include job title, office addresses, work phone numbers etc.

If you go way back to one of my original posts you will see a BT refrence number, which to this point remains there.

Same goes for the Openreach senior managers.

A persons name is not personal information especialy when it is related to a position of management within a company.  Unless of course linked to something other than employment or something that is unique to the individual (ie. date of birth, NI number etc).  A work email is not personal either.

Hate splitting hairs or sounding petty but that was bad form.

Hi @r0ss2k3,

Thanks for the post and welcome to the Community.  Firstly I want to apologise for the problems you have had with your connection, from what you have written it is clear that your experience has been extremely poor.  If you haven't yet please take @Matt-S up on his offer of us lending a hand.  We will make sure this issue is picked up and seen through until it's been fixed.

The last thing we want to do is add further frustration so this was not our intention when we removed some content from this discussion.  If you had of contacted Openreach directly, as the post that was removed, had suggested, they would not have been able to help you and would have referred you back to us.  You are our customer so it is up to us to contact Openreach to discuss this.  I know you were told otherwise when calling BT and I am sorry about that, this info was incorrect.

With regards to posting personal details on the Community, we have defined that a person full name is not allowed to be posted on Community.  One reason for this is that it's not hard to guess a BT employees email address if you have their full name, the vast majority of employees will not be able to help through their work email address, so contacting someone within BT directly may lead to unnecessary delays.

Please let us know how this progresses and we are here if you need support.

Cheers

Sean

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 30

So if I was to post a certain CEO's details (name, email address, direct line, fax, office number etc you would remove that, despite the fact details can be found very easiliy on the BT site : https://www.bt.com/about/bt/our-company/group-governance/board-of-directors, is that what you are now saying?

I work for a much larger company and all senior manager details are BY LAW in the public domain.  Now I hate to sound like some keyboard warrior but trust me on this subject I do know what I am talking about.  Why not just admit that you do not want it to be easy for people to make complaints without running the gauntlet of corporate BS, people would actually respect that.

So far I hear BT can talk to Openreach, BT cannot talk to Openreach, only openreach can create the ability for a customer to arrange a visit, visits cannot be arranged over the phone, Openreach status cannot be checked on the system.  etc etc.  At no point has anyone actually been honest until I physically spoke to an opernreach employee.

I have received Matt's message and have responded.  Really ironic that Matt removes (and still wrongly, despite what you say) what is classed as personal information yet asks me for a ton of personal information via PM yet I dont know the guy from Adam.  Are you people employed by BT?  There was no introduction or disclosure with evidence of employment.  Seriously !!!!

OK so the offer of help is kind and useful and perhaps by answering the following that would help (and most liklely help others):

1. Can a BT helpdesk operator (sorry dont know the exact jo title, the internet  technical department folks) call Openreach (as in the internet help team) ?
  2. Can BT arrange an engineer visit without Openreach instigating it via the system (otherwise the operators cannot book, system doesnt allow)?
  3. Is it standard policy to advise a customer to contact another providor and arrange a switch of service?
  4. Why is the term "good will gesture" used for compensation, when in fact it is not a "good will" it is what Ofcom force providors to pay?
  5. Are these forums and the rules heavily moderated to ensure there is no freedom of speech?
  6. Is it true that the equipment provided for Fibre 900 is not full up to the task and to make advantage of the speed and wifi that further 3rd party equiment must be obtained?
  7. Why is fibre advertised as the most reliable product yet there is a heavy sales push on the halo product?
  8. What can the forum operators offer that the helplines cannot?
  9. Can you call Openreach and arrange engineer visits, and BT engineer visits?
  10. Are forum moderators employees of BT, if so in what capacity and responsibilities? 
  11. What is the process for making a FOI request (including the local policy)?

Appreciate the help and additional info.   Thank you.

0 Ratings
SeanD
Community Manager - Retired
Message 20 of 30

Hi @r0ss2k3,

Thanks for the reply.  In answer to your first question, yes if you post the details of any employee on the BT Community, we will remove this content as this is part of our terms of use.  

The purpose of the Community is for customers to be able to help each other resolve issues, having advised on the Community to contact other teams or people within BT is the opposite of what we are trying to do if that makes sense?  BT’s complaint procedure is not hidden and can be viewed in full from this link, Complaining to BT

I am sorry for any confusion around who works for BT and who doesn’t.  That’s a fair point I can completely understand the concern caused by a private message out of the blue from someone requesting your details.  All 8 of our moderators are employed with BT and you will see their Community title ‘Moderator’ underneath their username.  We also have some employee who will engage under an Expert title, so for example ‘BT TV Expert’, BT Sports Expert.  These folks are also employed by BT.

Below are the answer to your other questions

1.  Can a BT helpdesk operator (sorry dont know the exact jo title, the internet  technical department folks) call Openreach (as in the internet help team) ?  If there is an open fault and BT have not received an update from Openreach or Wholesale then yes, our technical adviser can and should contact both of our suppliers for an update.
  2. Can BT arrange an engineer visit without Openreach instigating it via the system (otherwise the operators cannot book, system doesnt allow)?  This depends on the fault and where the fault lies.  If Openreach deem the issue is on their side then an advisor cannot book an appointment, in other situations, Openreach will send back a notification for BT to go ahead and book an appointment and once that is received an advisor can book an appointment
  3. Is it standard policy to advise a customer to contact another providor and arrange a switch of service?  If you would like to switch your service to another provider and don’t want to be without service for a period of time then yes, it would be best to contact the provider of your choice and they will set the switching process in motion.  This should then mean that there will be limited downtime for when you move from BT service to the new provider.  You can, of course, cancel with BT first but depending on your new provider it may take a few days to get you connected at which time you will be without service.
  4. Why is the term "good will gesture" used for compensation, when in fact it is not a "good will" it is what Ofcom force providors to pay?  These are two different things; compensation is what you are entitled to from BT in terms of service downtime or outages as laid out in our terms of use.  If a customer does not meet the parameters for compensation, then at times BT will offer a goodwill gesture.  You are correct though compensation is mandatory as laid out in our Customer service guarantee 
  5. Are these forums and the rules heavily moderated to ensure there is no freedom of speech?  Our Community is moderated in line with our terms of use, please see here, BT Community Terms of Use .  I am sorry that you feel that we heavily moderate posts, you only need to spend some time reading through some posts on Community to recognise that we don’t remove posts that criticize BT or are negative towards us.   
  6.  Is it true that the equipment provided for Fibre 900 is not full up to the task and to make advantage of the speed and wifi that further 3rd party equiment must be obtained?  The equipment that BT supply with our Full Fibre service is up to the task, although I acknowledge that some customers have found that using a third-party router offers a better experience.  Moreover, some speed issues related to speeds over a wireless connection are down to the device and/or wireless standards that they use.  Most wireless standards will not support speeds of 900+ meg.  That will change with Wi-Fi 6 but that’s a fairly new standard.  This is also something that we are looking to include in future hub releases
  7.  Why is fibre advertised as the most reliable product yet there is a heavy sales push on the halo product?  BT Halo offers customers other benefits    
  8.  What can the forum operators offer that the helplines cannot?  The Community is primarily for peer to peer support.  Using the Community may mean that you can find a solution to your problem without the need for contacting BT directly.  We offer customers another avenue to help themselves.  If, however, you need direct support from BT then the Community may not be able to help so you are best to contact BT directly.  Our moderators and subject matter experts will also help if the Community cannot deal with an issue
  9. Can you call Openreach and arrange engineer visits, and BT engineer visits?  It really depends on where the fault lies
  10. Are forum moderators employees of BT, if so in what capacity and responsibilities?  Yes, our moderators are all BT Employees.  We are here to engage with and help customers where we can.  We don’t just moderator the Community but the mods will also be the guys solving problems in the background on the issues that the Community could not help with
  11. What is the process for making a FOI request (including the local policy)?  I presume that you are asking about obtaining all the information that BT hold on you?  If that is the case you can make a Data access subject request from this link, https://www.bt.com/privacy-policy/

I hope this info help and please let us know how you get on with your service.  We are here if you need us 😀

Cheers

Sean