cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Surboy
Contributor
Message 171 of 220

Re: BT Fibre 900 Upgrade / Smart Hub 2 upload throttling

Wow, that’s a nice if slightly technically challenging solution (for me) but will definitively give it a try when I have a little free time and the family are not using the internet (probably in the middle of the night Lol), thanks again Antdonn!
0 Ratings
Antdonn
Contributor
Message 172 of 220

Hi yes sorry its a bit technical. Let me clarify.

You buy a new router (A) and plug this into your ONT - your internet works. Great 👍

Now the proglem you have is the phone, eeekkk what can you do, so....

You can plug the sh2 into router (A)
1. going from the red wan port on the sh2 ( important)
2. Plug the cable into any available port on router (A).
3. Router (A) should have a cable going from its red wan port to the ont.

Now the sh2 “should get an ip address via dhcp from router (A) , in the same way a device gets an address when you connect via lan or wireless , this will be assigned to the Wan port of the sh2, in english the sh2 is tricked into thinking its plugged into the ont.

If you log into the sh2, you “should see” WAN - connected, and an ip address of 192.168.x.x (C) etc. Note this address down for later.

Now, before i get slammed for this.
Using the IP which is assigned to the sh2 wan port(C) go to Router (A) And add the sh2 ip which you made a note of (C) to the DMZ you might have to click around to find this in a section called DMZ/NAT/Port forwarding/Services,

so what this does in “for simplicity” makes it seem like the sh2 and Router (A) are both connected to the ONT. ‘ , so the entire internet can hit router (A) and the SH2 ,thats the simple version. Its quite safe to do this, as both routers have “for simplicity” protection. HOWEVER I DO NOT RECOMMEND OR ENCOURAGE ANYONE TO ADD THERE PC/MAC IP TO THE DMZ EVEN IF YOU HAVE A PHD IN NETWORK ENGINEERING, SIMPLY PUT YOUR ASKING FOR TROUBLE, SO DONT DO IT.

Remember to turn the wireless off on the BT SH2. You will require a laptop / pc with a network cable you can swap between each router, so you can log onto each router.

I have a similar system setup where i give residents access to free wifi, from my internet connection, using a completey deferent router along with a little wizz bang, so my own network is safe.

The possibility's are endless, including extending the reach of your wifi, without spending a fortune 🔮, get stuck or anyone have any questions, just ask, it cant hurt.

And yes unfortunately ive been in the consultant/ engineering role for 25 years. Really should have gone to art school.
0 Ratings
Surboy
Contributor
Message 173 of 220

@ Antdonn Thank you VERY much for the detailed response, very kind of you to offer help like this!
0 Ratings
Antdonn
Contributor
Message 174 of 220

No problem 👍
0 Ratings
ryanofford
Contributor
Message 175 of 220

image002.png

Here are the BT tests for me over the last few weeks. 4th Sept is where a replacement ONT was installed. BT have confirmed their tests are showing 910mbps since then. I've been able to hit 780 using a WiFi 6 mobile about 5m from my main mesh node with 30+ devices online (Inc 3 Nest cameras and the BT diagnostics box). Looks like my answer was to not be on v15 of the firmware, buy my own Asus mesh anyway and keep talking with BT until the ONT got replaced.

Forthay
Expert
Message 176 of 220

@ryanofford  I'm still left wondering if it's really an ONT fault or if its related to the registration process fixing what was wrong and it could be fixed with the existing ONT.

Regardless, big congrats mate.

Glad it's sorted and long may it last, mines has been rock solid since the ONT change.

ryanofford
Contributor
Message 177 of 220

Cheers. Glad your advice in it worked. Finally managed to find an answer to try and it did the trick.

0 Ratings
Adz1978
Contributor
Message 178 of 220

@ryanofford could I please ask what site you used to track the speeds over time?

I was looking for a similar thing, FAST just seems to be a real time speed.  Would really help my case if I can track this from an official source rather than screen grabs like I am doing now.

Thanks

0 Ratings
ryanofford
Contributor
Message 179 of 220

I've mainly been using fast. I get different results using different speed test sites although they are reasonably close. I've also done some tests and manual calculations in download speeds (which is dependent on how fast they can be served).

BT on the other hand, sent me a SamKnows whitebox that sends them the info over time. I think you can get one via SamKnows.com/signup

0 Ratings
Pilot25dmc
Aspiring Expert
Message 180 of 220

I was the guy who replied to your video earlier today @OneManTagTeam 

I actually can’t put into words how good this router is. 

I am getting faster speeds now in rooms that used to require the complete wifi discs to even get a signal before. 

SH2 and 3 discs are now in a box in the attic.