cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Forthay
Expert
Message 211 of 220

Re: BT Fibre 900 Upgrade / Smart Hub 2 upload throttling

@sjd201 @It doesn’t take time to settle. If not already can you try powering off the Smarthub and ONT. Disconnect the cable from the  Smarthub. Leave for 10mins, power up the ONT. Power up the Smarthub leave it 5mins and now connect the cable.

0 Ratings
sjd201
Aspiring Contributor
Message 212 of 220

Thanks. Got more from you than the support technician.

Briefly got speeds above 200mb after following your instructions. But then dropped back to about 20mbs. 

I did do wired test to see what speed I was getting and achieved 500mb regularly. Surely wired should get closer to 900mb advertised? Especially as router is showing 1000mbps up and downstream?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

0 Ratings
sm27650
Aspiring Contributor
Message 213 of 220

The router showing 1000/1000 is your connection between the Hub & ONT, it’s not indicative of your download / upload speed. 

On fibre 900, you’ll see close to 900 download and maybe 115 upload allowing for losses with how TCP works. 

if it doesn’t improve, get into BT again as it’s most likely stuck with a profile setting that hasn’t allowed the ONT up to the 900 speeds. 

0 Ratings
FERG1E
Beginner
Message 214 of 220

Oldish thread, but I'm now in the same boat as a lot of yous. Was on Fiber300 with the SH2 was getting nice decent consistent speeds. Upgraded to the Fiber900 last week and had issues with the download speeds on a wired connection ever since. Done testing the whole week on wired and the highest it ever was (and only the once) was 436Mbps, all the other tests were anywhere from 100 - 350 or there abouts. 

BT updated the firmware on the router done all the turning on and off the hardware (SH2, fiber box at the wall), some profile changes, tested 4 days after on a wired connection (cat6 cable, brand new alienware laptop that can easily handle the speeds) still was getting consistently under 450Mbps DL. The Upload was at the 50Mbps mark (and under) for a few days,  then something changed and it then kept hitting close to 120Mbps, so i think that parts fine. 

Engineer came and confirmed the inconsistent DL speeds on the wired connection so said openreach would need to check the transmission on the exchange end. Openreach came today ran tests, confirmed the UL speeds were fine (sitting nicely around the 115-120Mbps all the time, which i confirmed myself) but the DL speeds were never hitting 450Mbps. He called the exchange, they stated there was a ''circuit config issue'', put openreach on hold for 20mins, said ''ok ive sorted it'' test now, OR engineer ran three tests (all wired), he got 750Mbps, 550 so he was like ok it looks much better now. 

Told him I'd run some tests later today using wired connection, and its back to how it was, still getting speeds anywhere from 100Mbps - 350Mbps DL only. the OR engineer today told me i should be getting wired, on average, about 700+ on the 900. 

Called BT back and had the worst customer service I've ever had. Bare in mind I'm an engineer who deals with internet circuits, fiber etc for a large company so i know about speeds, routers and all the in's and out's of what can effect speeds and so on. Was told by some, in the voice of Jeremy Clarkson, ''blithering idiot'' on a call today that the 900Mbps speed and 450Mbps minimum speed is ONLY GUARANTEED to the box OUTSIDE my house and the speeds inside could be 100kbps (LOL) and so even if i was getting 100kbps inside my house there...''is no issue here''. Told him if i pay for 900 Fiber then i should be getting at LEAST 450Mbps INSIDE the house on a wired connection and im not getting that at all. He then continued to say ''no no the 450Mbps to is to the box only sir not in the house so if you get less than 450Mbps in the house this is ok'' then hung up on me!. Absolute braindead nonsense.  

So hes saying even though im paying for 900Mbps 'fiber' to the home we are talking here (not copper line) with a minimum 450Mbps, if i get 50kbps download speeds wired and the BT engineers get the same speedtest results as me, its ''fine, theres no issue''??. Sorry BT, but the customer service is appalling. Bare in mind this is after BT and x2 BT engineers who came to my house confirmed there IS an issue here lol. Went on chat after this and some other guy told me its because i have 3 other devices on my wifi network (x2 amazon alexa's and a CCTV camera - all of which draw hardly any bandwidth at all), so said to him just put me onto a manager. 

Manager said ''oh there is a fault on your line openreach will fix this in 48 hours and get back to you'', but i have no confidence in this at all as the manager was just copy and pasting pre-written replies to me the whole time. Really is shocking. Alas, they have 48 hours then I'll terminate my contract and go elsewhere if they can't get at least the minimum speeds to me. 

Can't believe for a year I've had no issues, then upgrade to Fiber900 and boom its been a massive bin fire ever since. Like I said to them, its absolutely fine if they can't work it out or get me the minimum speeds, ill happily go elsewhere but i need to know so i can end my contract before the cooldown period ends. Lets see what happens. 

0 Ratings
Flosseh
Beginner
Message 215 of 220

Hi @JohnC2  .

I've just had 900fttp installed (2 days ago) and I am having the same problems. Upload seems to be capped at 10meg though! , can you help? 

0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 216 of 220

Hi @Flosseh, welcome to the forum, and sorry your upload is so low.

Are you using the Smart Hub 2 and has it been continuously connected for the last 3 days? 

Cheers

John 

0 Ratings
Flosseh
Beginner
Message 217 of 220

Hi @JohnC2 

Thanks for the quick reply.

It is a smart hub2 but has been turned off and on a few times each day (when I get home from work) trying to fix the upload issue. Should I try leaving it ? I'm convinced it's the hub which is the issue , I've even checked the light levels from the splitter in case that was the issue 😆 (I'm an Openreach Ethernet fibre engineer).

0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 218 of 220

Hi @Flosseh, I would suspect it is the hub that needs to get an update. This should happen normally with 2-3  days of connection when left connected. Please don't reset the hub and if the problem with the upload persists after the weekend post back and let us know and we will arrange for the update manually.

cheers

John

Flosseh
Beginner
Message 219 of 220

Cheers @JohnC2 , I'll give that a whirl, fingers crossed 🤞

0 Ratings
Flosseh
Beginner
Message 220 of 220