cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 19

Fibre 900 speeds are well below guaranteed

Go to solution

Got fibre 900 installed yesterday and the speeds were rather all over the place until mid day when it was a solid 200/250mbps until today where I’ve dropped down to around 70mbps. All my Ethernet cables are cat 6 and above. I use a Asus rt-ax88u router so I’m not sure what’s at fault. Kind woman on the phone told me to call back in 5 days but If my speeds are dropping like this when I’m on the fibre 900 contract  I’m not sure what to do 

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

Re: Fibre 900 speeds are well below guaranteed

Go to solution

What difference is 5 days going to make?

How are you testing your speed? It is recommended to use https://fast.com/ 

Have you tried a direct PC - ONT PPPoE connection?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 19

Go to solution

I use fast.com and the btwholesale speed test. Haven’t tried to directly connect to the modem yet on pc  as I don’t know how to do it 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 19

Go to solution

Instructions on setting up a PPPoE connection here.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/921/ 

Username : bthomehub@btbroadband.com

Password: BT

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 19

Go to solution

@PatrickMcDonnell 

I have the very same router on the same 900 / 110 package getting full speed all day every day.

Try these settings although stock settings should work.

As @pippincp states setup a PPPoE connection first ruling out the router altogether.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 19

Go to solution

I’ve got the similar issue but I’m using the smart hub 2. Was on Halo 1 with 330 mbps, upgraded to the Halo 1 900 mbps. Didn’t see any change in speed on the hub 1 when the upgrade happened, tried the hub 2 and the performance couldn’t match what I was getting on my hub 1 on the old contract. Spent an hour on the phone with by support and they could see 550 between the exchange and my openreach modem but I’m getting about 270 mbps on the 5ghz which is exactly what I was getting on my last 330 mbps contract (2.4 ghz added about 50 more mbps).

disappointed but I still have till the 28th to reject the upgrade.

interested to see how the OP gets on.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 19

Go to solution

@Infiltrator  You won't get 900Mbps on a wireless connection as none of the Hubs are WiFi 6 standard. You'd be hard pushed to get it if they were.

When considering taking on Gb services you should always consider what both your and the ISP equipment is capable of. The hub will deliver 900Mb on a wired connection.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 19

Go to solution

Thanks, tested the hub 2 wired and couldn’t get over 100 mbps, never tested the hub 1 wired. Used the BT patch cable with the red fittings which I believe is Gb capable. There’s another post I’ve replied to where someone has done the same upgrade as we have and he’s only seen his upload speed increase to 110 mbps as there’s a tech fault at the wholesale end, our upload is a good steady 110 so I wonder if we’re suffering from the same tech issue?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 19

Go to solution

@Infiltrator  Have you tried a ditect PC - ONT connection to rule out the hub?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 19

Go to solution

Never thought of that! 
Job for tomorrow, thanks, will report back.

0 Ratings