cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 4

Fibre Availability - What should I read in to this response ?

I live in a rural area where a lot of work has been done recently to try to get fibre broadband enabled.  When I enter my postcode on the Openreach availability checker, I get the response :

" The cabinet that serves your premises is live, but your speeds aren't  as fast as we'd like them to be.  Your area has been reviewed and there is a plan to do further work to increase speeds via FTTP technology. "

Does this mean that they might supply a fibre line to each house, free of charge ?  And how might that affect our line rental fees ?

Any help or thoughts would be much appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Message 2 of 4

Re: Fibre Availability - What should I read in to this response ?

Openreach are deploying FTTP in a lot of rural areas.

And no they won’t install it free of charge, they charge their customer, your Service Provider, i.e. BT, Zen, etc. Whether they pass that Installation charge on to you usually depends on what deals they have on and how long a Contract you take out. You’ll also have to pay a Monthly Charge for it, why you assume you’d get it for free is beyond me?!?!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Ask BT when approached what it involves and specifically how easy it will be to transfer to another ISP later if you accept their offer of FTTP. You could lose fibre altogether if you change to another ISP. Record heir answers if possible

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

I would suggest that you read this thread and then decide if what billyboy1 is in any way relevant as it would appear that he is a bit confused about the roll of BT ISP and Openreach when it comes to the provision of FTTP  and the take up of FTTP by other ISPs.

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/Can-t-Transfer-to-another-fibre-provider/td-p/1591179