Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
TimA
Beginner
Message 1 of 18

Fibre - BT Business v BT Residential Disparity

I'm about to start working from home and my current BT Residential line is a standard 2mb broadband which is not enough for my kids to game/social media & me to work 😞     I therefore contacted BT Business to discuss a second line so I could have a bit more bandwidth for work and they told me they could install a Fibre line up to 76Mb!  Smiley Very Happy

As 76mb would be plenty for both home & work I contacted BT Residential to see if I could just upgrade my current line to Infinity, thus save on a new line connection fee plus BT Business monthly rates ££££......they told me 2mb was the fastest they could offer and that although my local exchange (HOLBEACH) is accepting orders, Fibre/Infinity is not currently possible to my property.  😞

A quick phone call back to BT Business to tell them they were mistaken...they double, double-checked their data and yes, Fibre could definitely be provided to my property by BT Business.  

How can this be?  Are BT Business just trying to get me to sign-up to then tell me "sorry, we made a mistake but here's 2mb on the new line you've paid out for" or are BT Residential unaccommodating (would have thought they would welcome a few extra £ per month by me switching from basic broadband to Unlimited Infinity)??

Anyone else come across this sort of scenario and how did it get resolved...I'm currently stuck in the middle with BT Business & BT Residential playing dumb and not willing/able to talk to each other.   All I want is to get a bit more bandwidth so working from home can be done but at the cheapest price possible (obviously).

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: Fibre - BT Business v BT Residential Disparity

Welcome to the BT Residential Customers forum

You would be better posting on the BT Business forum at http://business.forums.bt.com/

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 18

Are BT Business saying it is Fibre to the Cabinet FTTC or Fibre to the Premises FTTP. There is a difference and a big difference in cost. 

If you use this checker it will tell what cabinet you are on and what services it can receive.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

0 Ratings
TimA
Beginner
Message 4 of 18

Hi.   

BT Business didn't say which service they were offering but its their “Standard line plus BT Infinity Premium” @ £56 per month offered via the BT Business Website.   My understanding is that there would be £110 one-off connection fee only.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
TimA
Beginner
Message 5 of 18

Hi.

I wasn't sure whether its BT Business or BT Residential query but as my preferred option is to simply upgrade my current Residential package I plumped for this forum 🙂
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 18

Input your phone number HERE and post bach a screenshot of the result (remove your phone number first).

0 Ratings
TimA
Beginner
Message 7 of 18

Screenshot as requested:-

ADSL_Check.jpgThat's for my current BT Residential line.    

If I have a new BT Business line installed would that come from the same cabinet?    The reason I ask is that a newish cabinet has been put into my village since my house was built and I think all new properties are now being connected to that.  That cabinet has another cabinet at the side that says (Fibre is here..or some such).  Its not cabinet 5 though, it has a No 14 on the side Smiley Frustrated

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 18

You can not get FTTC but you can get FTTP on Demand which is what the BT Business was probably trying to sell you. It is usually more expensive than FTTC so if you are happy to pay for it and BT Business can supply it then option is there.

The product "BT Infinity Premium" that you have been quoted by BTBusiness is here. It appears to be FTTC so I don't know how it will be delivered to you.

http://business.bt.com/broadband-and-internet/fibre-broadband/infinity-premium/

0 Ratings
dfenceman
Expert
Message 9 of 18

@gg30340 wrote:

You can not get FTTC but you can get FTTP on Demand which is what the BT Business was probably trying to sell you. It is usually more expensive than FTTC so if you are happy to pay for it and BT Business can supply it then option is there.

Hi TimA,

By usually more expensive GG means a lot more expensive Smiley LOL.  See the price list :-

http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/pricing/loadProductPriceDetails.do?data=0WyIM7tTGGgucF...

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
TimA
Beginner
Message 10 of 18

Lol.....according to that price list I'm looking at £6k+ as I'm over 2000m from my cabinet I think!!   Erm, no thanks Smiley Sad

What I don't understand is that all I've done is look via their website at what packages BT Business can offer me for my premises and they are saying I can take their "Up to 76mb Standard line plus BT Infinity Premium" package @ £56pm over 24mth contract.   Nowhere does it say whether this is FTTP or FTTC or anything else and certainly there's no mention of a £6k setup/connection fee.    

If I go through the order process online then its showing me a £110 phone line connection fee (plus £8.00 for BT Hub 5 delivery).  

I'm inclined to look at how I cancel my current BT Residential line & swap to a new BT Business line just to get the fibre broadband on offer at the price they're quoting me....seperate question (and probably one for the Business forum but...) what's stopping me from having a business line instead of residential?

Thanks for all your input guys, appreciated.

Merry Christmas!!

0 Ratings