Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 54

Fibre Broadband Outages - Help Needed

Go to solution

Hello all,

my very first post on the BT Community Forum because for years since the day my  BT Infinity fibre broadband went live it has been bullet proof reliable. The most reliable broadband I have had to date.

for the last 24 hours I have had loads of outages 30+ i'd guess. My speed has dropped from a consistent 68-70mbps for years to 25ish mbps.

I have tried tweeting BT via twitter but that isn't going great, probably volume of people they are responding to I guess.

So my setup was

Apple Airport Extreme to BT Openreach Modem to Master Socket (I don't own a landline phone)

this has been my setup for years and it has been so reliable but in the interest of ruling out my equipment I purchased a Smart Hub

so now I have a BT Smart Hub plugged in to the master socket and have had outages and speed is still way low.

checking the event log it shows several  ':PPPoE error: timeout' messages around each time out.

not sure if related but i'll include anyway

I have long suspected a possible problem with my drop wire.  Very often it rains, at the beginning (onset) I lose connection but it quickly comes back and stays up until the next rainfall. I have not called for an engineer before now as I worried they may not find a problem and charge me.

just wondering if this weeks stormy weather may have made the issue worse or is the :PPPoE error: timeout a result of something else.

any help appreciated.

thak you for taking the time to read this

0 Ratings
53 REPLIES 53
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 54

Re: Fibre Broadband Outages - Help Needed

Go to solution

your problem is more likely associated with this from ISPReview

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/02/after-storm-dennis-broadband-isp-outages-sweep-the-uk....

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 54

Go to solution
Possibly. I'm in London so chances of them checking everywhere water can get in is slim I suppose. Hope it doesn't become a permanent drop
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 54

Go to solution
Just had contact back via Twitter.
They can see NO faults with my line but can see the outages via Smart Hub!!!

No idea what that means though
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 54

Go to solution

BT Engineer due tomorrow.

one thing I have noticed that whilst my download speed is more than halved it is very stable at 30mbps. I'd have expected it to see erratic speed test results with a physical fault.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 54

Go to solution

It will be an Openreach engineer not BT.

Stabilising your speed under fault conditions is the purpose of DLM.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 54

Go to solution

So an Openreach engineer came yesterday.

witnessed the issue.

changed the junction box outside where the drop wire connects to my internal cable to the master socket.

master socket changed to Openreach MK4 version.

initially all looked ok so engineer left, 10 minutes later problem is back.

since has been a constant cycle of disconnecting and reconnecting with uptime windows easier to count in seconds.

another online chat and obviously we have to do the script kiddie thing of "Eliminating my equipment" despite the engineer changing everything my side of the drop wire and with a brand new smart hub and even new cable hub to master socket. I have no extensions, no landline, cordless or otherwise.

and still my broadband is toast and still i'm told there appears to be no faults on the line and yet I have to piggy back on my neighbours wifi (with permission) just to communicate with BT. No 4G is not an option because my contract is with Three😡

and breathe, apologies for the rant

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 54

Go to solution

So he did not change the drop wire, or check the connections at the top of the pole, as those are the most likely cause?

I expect you can hear noise on your phone calls as wel, you will need to check that using a wired phone.

If the phone line is noisy or has a high resistance connection, then that will affect your broadband.

here are quite a few people that do not plug a house phone in to check dial tone every so often. This can cause issues with broadband. Also, if one wire has become disconnected (quite common), then that will cause no broadband,  constant disconnections, or a very low speed.

The solution is to get hold of a cheap (less than £10) wired phone, and plug it into the phone socket to see if you get dial tone.

Then dial 17070 (free call)  and select option 2, quiet line test, and see if there is any noise on the line.

If you do not get dial tone, or there is noise on the line, then you need to report it as either no dial tone, or a noisy line. Do not mention the broadband problem, otherwise it will end up in the wrong fault queue, and take much longer to be fixed. There are plenty of people who can fix phone faults, but not as many broadband people.

Once the phone fault is fixed, then the broadband will get better.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 54

Go to solution

phone 151 and get engineer visit again

any noise on landline  dial 17070 option 2 should be silent

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 54

Go to solution
He didn't go up the pole at all.

Also I don't own a landline but pressumably the engineer checked what you suggest. Though this is pure assumption on my part
0 Ratings