Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
IBanksy
Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Fibre Broadband (VDSL) network uptime dropping

Is it normal for the network uptime to reset every 1 or 2 days. We've been having unstable pings so wondering if its related? We had an engineer out who improved the speeds which is awesome but surely the network uptime shouldn't keep dropping like this? Does this show something is wrong? 

Network uptime:

0 Days, 12 Hours 36 Minutes

System uptime:

3 Days, 22 Hours 27 Minutes

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Fibre Broadband (VDSL) network uptime dropping

That shows you powered down hub 3 days ago but lost internet connection as recent as 12 hrs ago

post stats from hub. If hh6 then advanced settings then technical log information 

try dialing 17070 option 2 should be silent and best with corded phone 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
IBanksy
Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Yeah that was the engineer. The internet connection loses connection every 24 hours to 48 hours at max.

Product code:Smart Hub 2
Serial number:+091298+1833001810
Firmware version:v0.11.00.09070-BT
Firmware updated:Thu Jan 10 15:10:07 2019
Board version:R01
GUI version:1.53a 29_08_2018
DSL uptime:0 days,12 Hours55 Mins26 Secs
Data rate:19.29 Mbps / 73.445 Mbps
Maximum data rate:19.290 Mbps / 74.197 Mbps
Noise margin:5.9 / 5.1
Line attenuation:24.4 / 33.6
Signal attenuation:23.8 / 35.1
VLAN id:101
Upstream error control:Off
Downstream error control:Off
Data sent / received:611.9 MB Uploaded / 18.1 GB Downloaded
Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
BT Wi-fi:Activated
2.4 GHz wireless network name:BT-N3A2QN
2.4 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel11)
5 GHz wireless network name:BT-N3A2QN
5 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel36)
Wireless security:WPA2 (Recommanded)
Wireless mode:Mode 1
Firewall:On

Is this what you want? @imjolly or the event log when the router lost connection.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

No.  That's the stats I was looking for

the stats look odd - you have 73mb connection speed but your attenuation is far to high at 33db for that sort of speed

have you tried a factory reset of hub to see if that fixes it?

any line noise?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
IBanksy
Contributor
Message 5 of 11

This is a brand new router. (Smart hub 2) We were having line drops with the smart hub 1 and our contracted ended so we just upgraded because we thought the router was faulty and the new contract came with a new one. I haven't got a phone to test the line. I'll order one @imjolly what exactly is attenuation
0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 6 of 11

@imjolly,

Just to add a comment: I installed a new Smart Hub 2 yesterday.

The line attenuation, as displayed, is 23db downstream, in comparison with the HH6, which was 17db.

This seems odd, but it makes you wonder how accurate the measurement, or estimate, is.

There are no disconnects so far.....,,

0 Ratings
IBanksy
Contributor
Message 7 of 11

@imjolly Do I need an engineer to fix the attenuation? I looked up what attenuation is but it doesn't look like something I can fix myself. Would that explain my unstable line (latency)? 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

@Ribblelancs

That's interesting about your attenuation. I was involved in testing and initially had higher than 'normal' attenuation but subsequently had a firmware update which now shows my 'normal' attenuation

@IBanksy

There is nothing you or engineer can do to change attenuation as that is calculated by hub. It is not cause of drops in connection

quiet line test?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 9 of 11

@imjolly,

Further to my comment, posted previously.
A new Smart Hub2 firmware was installed today, 49hours after initial setup.
The current firmware is at V0.12.02.11078-BT.
GUI firmare remains as it is.
upstream/downstream line attenuation is now shown as 10.4db/16.7db, as against the previous stated levels of 22.8db/30.5db. The new levels are now inline with the previous HH6 stated levels.
Perhaps this may help others, as there appear to be many views on this topic.
VDSL2 speed is 12.2mbps up, 60mbps down, with noise margins of 6.1/3.1 db, which is the normal speed here.
I can now proceed with setting up the disc.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

@Ribblelancs

That's the same firmware I am using now which I have had for couple of months - working without problem

0 Ratings