cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

Fibre Broadband download speed abysmal

And yet I pay BT a fortune every month.  I'm getting an unworkable 7.4mbps!!  This, despite I supposed BT speed guarantee.  If I use BT's speed checker it lies and tells me all is good - all other online speed checkers confirm this is a lie.  Has anyone attempted to get BT to live up to their speed guarantee?  What's the best way to go about it?

😡

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: Fibre Broadband download speed abysmal

Are you testing using WiFi or via an ethernet cable?
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 16

The guarantee is connection speed not downlaod speed. Post the connection stats from the hub Advanced settings/technical log/information.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 16

WiFi. Which is what most home users have I would have thought.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 16

I don't follow, what is the difference?  Surely everyone that buys fast fibre broadband from a provider believes they will get the speeds advertised for downloading as that is all they are interested in.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 16

please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

As already posted the speeds quoted by BT are connection speeds to the router not download speed at your device. No ISP guarantees download speed over wireless

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 16

@MarmadukeTheEighth connection speed is measured to the hub and not individual devices. No ISP with guarantee speeds to individual devices as there are so many variables that can affect the speed each device can download at. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 16

I'm confused then.  Why should my fibre connection speed go slow so that, e.g. YouTube videos won't play and just have the whirly circle, when nothing whatsoever has changed on my desktop to make that happen?  The only variable that could have changed is the speed at which the internet signal is reaching my house?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 16

@MarmadukeTheEighth 

Please provide the information requested by @imjolly and we might be able to progress this.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 16

I'm logged on to my hub.   It says Wireless 2.4GHz Status Off.  Wireless 5GHz Status Off.  My Devices: ditto.   Hybrid Connect:  Signal strength Good, Status Ready.  If I click 'Broadband performance test' it doesn't do that but instead takes me to a screen showing I have reported a fault plus a reference number.  

"HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information." Sorry, I don't understand what this means. 

0 Ratings