cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 16

Re: Fibre Broadband download speed abysmal

If you have a Home Hub 5 then click on Troubleshooting followed by Helpdesk on the management page of the hub and post a screenshot.

If you have a Smart Hub 1 or 2 then click on Advanced Settings followed by Technical log then post a screenshot of the Information page.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 16

Have you tried WiFi in different parts of the house.

And how are you checking download speed - are you using something like speedtest.net

With downloads you need to be sure that the limitation isn't from where you are downloading from.

I don't have BT myself, I actually have full fibre - just been installed.  With a wired connection, I enjoy 930Mbps up and down but wireless I'm getting nothing like the advertised.  With my provider you don't get a mesh - if you are with BT you might have the Whole Home disks which should make things better.

But your location can have a massive impact on what download you get with WiFi.  For me, I should be able to get 867Mbps but in reality I'm not getting even close, even if I stand next to the router/hub.

And you would only get that on the 5GHz WiFi which drops out much quicker than 2.4GHz WiFi.  In fact for a good part of my house 5GHz is totally unreliable and the download rate has dropped right off.  So for reliability sake we are using 2.4GHz which is giving us speeds that are no better than when we were on copper.

This is why I'm looking into buying the BT Whole Home disks for my house - which is why I joined the community today - to find out more.

So first thing to check is using a download test site what download speed do you get if you stand close to the router/hub.  If it is good then the poor speeds elsewhere are going to be down to the house characteristics.

If it is bad then if you can connect a wired computer to the hub and test on that.  If that gives good download speeds then your WiFi issue maybe hardware/configuration.

But if it is bad then you my be looking at a hub or line fault.

Cheers,

Nigel

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 16

Hub Data Screen ShotHub Data Screen Shot

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 16

Ok, that shows you have an FTTP service, so unlikely to be a line problem. I'm confused with your other post which suggests WiFi is turned off yet you are having problems when connected by WiFi.

What speeds do you get when connected to the hub with an Ethernet cable?

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 16

Is the LOS LED on the ONT lit?  Is the PON LED steady green or flashing green?

Are you sure you are connecting to your hub wifi and not the BTWiFi signal?

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 16

0 Ratings