I have been having poor quality download speeds for months, last time BT replaced my router "to a newer one" although the old one was less than 2 years old.
My smarthub says downstream sync = 21.70 Mbps
My contract Fibre 2 has stay fast guarantee of 22Mbps but should offer 27-45Mbps
If i was a new customer to BT, they would offer Fibre 1 or 27Mbps - 36Mbps (Am i getting overcharged for a service that is not available for a new customer).
I understand that download speeds can differ if you are using Wifi instead of hard wired, So i did three speed tests through my hard wired Smart TV
Uswitch = 11.7Mbps
Broadban Speed Checker = 13.1Mbps
BT Speed Test = 15Mbps
Then did the BT speed test from my laptop = 15.8Mbps but the location identified was 30miles north of my true location, I have the same problem when i connect to my company intranet, location identified is not where i live.
I have raised an issue with BT but they have put this on the track fault timeline
Right to exit removed
We’ve had to remove your right to exit your contract without penalty, as we’ve not been able to monitor your speed or get any required information from you.
1. Does the current Router make a big difference into the download speed?
2. Would swapping to another provider, who may have better routers, make a difference?
3. Why am i being offered an upgrade to BT Halo when Fibre 2 aint performing.
1. Does the current Router make a big difference into the download speed? No
2. Would swapping to another provider, who may have better routers, make a difference? Unlikely as using exactly same connection
3. Why am i being offered an upgrade to BT Halo when Fibre 2 aint performing. you can get Halo on Fibre 1. your connection speed is not good enough for Fibre 2
in order for the forum members to help please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information .
the speeds quoted by BT are connection speed not download speed - no ISP guarantees download speed. I know BT keeps talking about download speed but it is clarified in T&C that download speed actually means connection speed
Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal
enter your phone number and post results remember to delete number https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL
Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem