cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Fibre Essential + Hybrid connect: Does it always use the fastest connection?

I've a question regarding the Fibre essentials package and Hybrid Connect/Unbreakable wifi. 

My folks' place is in a very strange area as far as connectivity is concerned. They're over 2 miles from the FTTC cab that supplies their home, so the speed estimate for Fibre Essential on their line is 2-5Mbit (and given that's what their current ADSL service provides I'm confident its accurate). However EE have installed a 4G mast nearby, and every room in the house gets full 4G service and 30+Mbit speedtest results on mobile handsets. 

Now, my folks want to upgrade their broadband service from ADSL to something better, while keeping a landline number/service.

Am I right in thinking that if they get Fibre Essential with landline phone service and add hybrid connect the Hub will always connect via the 4G as its going to be 30mbit down/5 up over 4G vs 5 down/1 up via FTTC? Or could they sign up for the fibre essential service and simply never connect the copper side up? 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Fibre Essential + Hybrid connect: Does it always use the fastest connection?

The hybrid add on is only active should your broadband fail to work so as, ong as your broadband is working regardless of speed you will not activate the hybrid 4g

Maybe you should consider a 4g modem instead of FTTC

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Re: Fibre Essential + Hybrid connect: Does it always use the fastest connection?

Thanks for the confirmation. Is there a maximum time limit for how long hybrid connect would run for if the line did fail?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Until open reach fix you connection problem and get you back on your broadband connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

What I'm trying to find out is if there is a time limit/acceptable use policy in place for the 4G backup if, as in the use case I'm outlining above, the 4G connection will be much faster than even a 100% working copper line

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

You can't just disconnect the copper line and expect to use 4G instead.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

What are you going to do when the copper line is discontinued? Although people think twon't happen until 2025, it is happening now. 2025 is the end date, between now and then it is being rolled out to exchanges as the fibre rollout continues.

0 Ratings