cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Fibre/Halo1/Home hub 5: recurring severe speed reduction

Hi there – I’ve been experiencing a recurrent problem with my BT broadband (currently “Fibre with BT Halo 1” using a BT home hub 5.0 – Type B). I’ve used several different WiFi USB adaptors on my PC (currently an ‘ac’ standard adaptor), and this issue has been present with all. When initially turned on I get acceptable download speeds from the hub (typically 35-40 Mbps), but over time (anything from maybe 12 hours to a couple of days) the speed is dramatically reduced (typically to less than 3 Mbps). When this happens, turning the hub off and back on normally gets me back to the initial 35-40 Mbps. However, the issue is enormously inconvenient

I ran through the BT online broadband speed diagnostics during one speed drop recently, and when the speed test completed the system suggested that I should arrange to have an engineer come out. However, this is not currently possible as I am self-isolating. Moreover, the problem IS temporarily sorted by restarting the hub, which suggests (to at least my non-techie self) that the problem isn’t with the physical line, but with some other aspect of the hub or the exchange that I'm connected to.

Any advice would be immensely appreciated! Thanks in advance 😊

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Fibre/Halo1/Home hub 5: recurring severe speed reduction

from your description this a wifi problem so nothing to do with your internet connection to the hub. but the wifi connection between hub and usb wifi

have you tried a factory reset of the hub?

have you turned of smart setup   https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub--how-can-i-turn-it-on-and-off-

have you tried splitting the networks   https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/fix-a-problem/broadband-and-wi-fi/i-want-to-improve-my-wi-fi/how-d...

you can also select channels manually instead of automatic

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 3

Re: Fibre/Halo1/Home hub 5: recurring severe speed reduction

Many thanks for the quick and very helpful reply. I'll try the solutions you suggest and update if the problem continues. Many thanks!!!

0 Ratings