cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
busabr1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 19

Re: Fibre Installation Question

I’m not sure what you mean by joint box but the junction box cabinet at the end of the street, which we have been informed is live as it takes fibre to the next village along. They spurred off this for the new development. The engineers also advised the the manhole has been set to allow for our development to also be fibre enabled.

0 Ratings
Starwire2000
Recognised Expert
Message 12 of 19

You said,

‘Before Christmas we had contractors run fibre for Openreach to a forthcoming housing development next door to my house. They added a junction box outside my property. ’

By Junction Box I assume you mean a Joint Box, the rectangle shape hole in the ground.

Sorry I work in Telecoms, there’s no such terminology as a Junction Box so I assume you meant a Joint Box, as in a hole in the ground that has Cable Joints, Ag Nodes, Splitters, Manifolds, etc in it.

Are you talking about one of the Green Cabinets. They’re not Junction Boxes. Officially they’re called PCP, Primary Cross Connection Points but most call them Cabs for short.

If it is a Cab then it’s not FTTP then as FTTP doesn’t need or use Cabs.
0 Ratings
busabr1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 19

Ok great to get the correct terminolgy. The Cab we have been informed has been fibre enabled. Fibre was run from the cab to the joint box with splitters etc 5m from my front door, the copper and the new fibre run side by side with the copper spurred off in ducting to my front door. 

0 Ratings
Starwire2000
Recognised Expert
Message 14 of 19

I’m still confussed. Is the latest phase of the Development getting FTTP or are they on a PCP that is FTTC Enabled?
0 Ratings
busabr1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 19

Please see the attached photosFibre1.jpg

0 Ratings
busabr1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 19

As you can see from the picture the fibre runs past my front door (blue Door in the background), Openreach are advising that we cannot get connected to fibre.  I cannot understand how if there is a connector in this unit then why fibre cannot be spurred off this, this is how I got fibre to an offshore oilrig using the the subsea junction.

Yes the new development will be getting FTTP, the fibre has already been run from the junction box to its new termination just past my house. Why can Openreach not spur off to allow FTTP?

0 Ratings
iniltous
Guru
Message 17 of 19

Just because a fibre cable may be ran through a jointbox outside your home doesn't mean that your home is able to take advantage of it, it's not as though someone from Openreach  can simply splice another fibre cable to that and 'voila' you have a fibre service, optical network design is a little more involved than that.

It's possible ( if you were prepared to possibly foot the bill) then FTTPod ( fibre to the premises on demand) could be ( relatively ) inexpensive, but BT Consumer don't offer FTTPod , you would have to search company's that do , and potentially be happy to pay £££'s to get a fibre service to your home , some are quoted 10's of thousands of ££'s for this product but if your assertion that the fibre is right outside your door , and if the aggregation node is also close by , then it could cost much less, you can get a ballpark quote for free,( from ISP's that sell FTTPod)  but to progress the job you have to pay around £250 non returnable deposit for a bespoke , contractual price quote.

You are posting on a BT Consumer forum about an Openreach cable outside your home , presumably you wouldn't go onto a S?y or a T@lk T@lk forum and ask why you cannot have 'fibre', but you do so on here, yet BT Consumer have no more or less influence on OR as to where they deploy their network than these companys...BT Consumer and Openreach are not one and the same thing, seems to me it's you are asking a (legitimate) question but in the wrong place , 

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 18 of 19

@iniltous wrote:

Just because a fibre cable may be ran through a jointbox outside your home doesn't mean that your home is able to take advantage of it, it's not as though someone from Openreach  can simply splice another fibre cable to that and 'voila' you have a fibre service, optical network design is a little more involved than that.

It's possible ( if you were prepared to possibly foot the bill) then FTTPod ( fibre to the premises on demand) could be ( relatively ) inexpensive, but BT Consumer don't offer FTTPod , you would have to search company's that do , and potentially be happy to pay £££'s to get a fibre service to your home , some are quoted 10's of thousands of ££'s for this product but if your assertion that the fibre is right outside your door , and if the aggregation node is also close by , then it could cost much less, you can get a ballpark quote for free,( from ISP's that sell FTTPod)  but to progress the job you have to pay around £250 non returnable deposit for a bespoke , contractual price quote.

You are posting on a BT Consumer forum about an Openreach cable outside your home , presumably you wouldn't go onto a S?y or a T@lk T@lk forum and ask why you cannot have 'fibre', but you do so on here, yet BT Consumer have no more or less influence on OR as to where they deploy their network than these companys...BT Consumer and Openreach are not one and the same thing, seems to me it's you are asking a (legitimate) question but in the wrong place , 

It would be pointless asking on the Sky or Talk Talk forums, they don't sell residential FTTP.

0 Ratings
busabr1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 19

We have been advised by BT that the  box for the house is FTTP compatible, but no fibre was run.

0 Ratings