cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 20

Fibre Installation failed to work.

Go to solution

Two aspects of fibre installation.

1. It has come to my attention from a family friend that when his BT F.T.T.P. was being installed, it failed to work because the contractor had not fitted the correct white box. A different white box was obtained by the contactor on the day, fitted and everything worked from then on. Is it therefore true that unless the fibre is terminated in the correct white box the service will fail to work?

2. If the wrong white box in fitted can the  fibre control see this as a fault?

Many thanks.

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20

Re: Fibre Installation failed to work.

Go to solution

Yes, you cannot use any ONT it must be compatable with the head end equipment.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 20

Go to solution

Not only that, the serial number needs to be registered to the account in order to receive your service.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 20

Go to solution

Serial number is registered to the address, not the account.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 20

Go to solution

I suspect it is registered to the account via the address. As all 32 channels from the OLT are received by all 32 ONTs, you need to get the right channel delivered on the output of the ONT, so I guess the serial number needs to correspond to the right account.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 20

Go to solution

The ONT is registered against the Head End Port the OGEA Circuit is built off so the ONT would work on any fibre connected to that particular Head End Port. 

Same principle applies to FTTC when a PCP has more than one DSLAM. If say your DSLAM Port goes faulty and there’s no spare ports on the DSLAM they couldn’t simply swap you onto the other DSLAM if it’s connected to a different Head End Port, even if it has the DSLAM has spares. The service would need a complete Cease and Reprovide.

Message 7 of 20

Go to solution

Ergo, its registered to the account.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 20

Go to solution

It appear that the KN Contractor fitted the wrong termination box in my home.  IMG_0319.jpg

The engineer who installed the FTTP at my friends home was about to fit this type of box above when he realised his mistake and fitted the correct box.  He went on to say that these boxes are not to be used. Note the maker? That leads to a question. Why is BT suppling these boxes to the contractor? Disappointing to say the least. Four months waiting and in the end no FTTP.  Thankfully I cancelled the order and obtained four months Halo 3 rental refund. 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 20

Go to solution

Why is BT suppling these boxes to the contractor?’

BT, BT who, BT Consumer? Or BT Supply Chain?

BT Supply chain provide 3 different types of ONT, or boxes as you call it at the request of Openreach. Huawei, Nokia and ECI. The reason being Openreach use 3 different types of Head End Equipment supplied by Huawei, Nokia and ECI and unlike FTTC Modems they’re not interchangeable.

It clearly says on the job what kind of ONT needs to be installed so if the KN Contractor who visited can’t read that’s hardly BT Supply Chain or Openreaches fault is it.

Message 10 of 20

Go to solution

With respect there are serious issues surrounding the provision of FTTP and apart from my own experience as a former engineer all those involved within management need to address the main problem, "a failure to meet the customer requirement". I waited four months from the initial order was placed having accepted BT's invitation. Delivery of equipment first class, first fibre appointment April cancelled without explanation. Second appointment April failed, one meter of duct missing in street. Finally third appointment in May a service installed that does not work because an important component is the wrong item. As a customer I am not pleased. As a former employee I get the impression BT, Openreach and the Fibre Control need to come together and sort a simple mistake by an engineer with six months experience. Instead I was ignored, totally and absolutely ignored and had I not cancelled the order on the seventeenth of May I firmly believe I would still be waiting this fourth day of June 2021 with no FTTP service. 

0 Ratings