cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dodger777
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Fibre Installing

I'm getting switched over to BT Infinity 2 tomorrow from standard BT broadband. Of course my new hub hasn't been delivered by Royal Mail so I have to go collect it from the post office sometime tomorrow after work.

My question, will BT still be able to do their bit for my switch over to fibre without the new hub being connected. Will it be a case of me plugging it in when I get home after work or does it need to be connected while they do their bit at the exchange or at the cabinet, whatever it is they actually do.

I do have an Hub 3 connected for my existing normal broadband but I don't have any cables to connect to the fibre connection on the back.

Thank you

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Fibre Installing

Unless its fibre to the home you are getting, it will still be using the same pair of copper wires. The HH3 will not work, but if its normal fibre to the cabinet, then the lack of a home hub would not affect the work at the cabinet.

Fibre to the home uses a special Openrech ONT on the wall, so I doubt that you have that.

0 Ratings
Dodger777
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Thank you Keith

i am connected to a cabinet so I assume it's just a normal install.

i was just concerned that the hub needed to be attached when they were configuring whatever it is they do.

so hopefully Smiley Happy it's just a case of switching hubs when I get home tomorrow night...I say again, hopefully 😆!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

your hub does not have to be connected just plug it in when you have collected it and get home
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

No, the Openreach Field Technicians have their own tester which they use. That uploads the test results to a BT server to confirm that the service is now activated.

If the test fails, then they have to investigate.

0 Ratings