Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Fibre Modems

Hi all,

Does anyone know if ANY of the BT Home Hub's have the ability be switched to 'Modem Only' mode?

I have been using an Openreach modem (Locked) and an Asus router but I would like to keep an eye on my line stats. At the moment if I want to look at them I have to connect up my HH5 which means a disconnection. (Yikes, here comes the DLM)

Alternatively, can anybody recommend a Modem that I can use to get stats off via a piece of software or web browser, or is there a modem/router that I can set to 'modem only' mode and get the line stats from? 

Whatever happens, I need to keep the Asus router running as it has the functionality I need that the HH5 does not.

Thanks  😁

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Fibre Modems

The hubs don't have a modem only mode

could try the hg612 probably from eBay and you can unlock it simply to get access to the connection stats

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Yeah, HG612 is the modem I am already using with the Asus router,

I was hoping to find something off the shelf as it were.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 14

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 14

if you already have the hg612 then go to the kitz web pages and it is a nice easy  thing to unlock the modem to give you access to the stats you want 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 14

Thank you for your inputs so far,

I think I will leave the HG612 as it is and keep it as a backup unit.

With regards to the BT business smart hubs:

1) Other than the ability to put it into 'Modem Only' mode what other differences does it have?

2) Is there any reason why I can not connect it to a residential FTTC line?

3) Will RouterStatsHub5 work with the BT Business Hub 5

4) Is there any line stat monitoring software for the BT Business Smart Hub?

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 14

Unlocking is trivial see https://kitz.co.uk/routers/hg612unlock.htm

Use the bcm96368MVWG_fs_kernel_HG612V100R001C01B030SP08_webgui firmware

Stats monitor from http://dslstats.me.uk/downloads.html

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 14

Hi everyone,

So I have ordered a BT Business Smart Hub as below.

Capture11.PNG

I intend as stated earlier in this thread to use it in 'Modem Only' mode and continue to use my Asus Router with it.

I believe I am correct in saying that RouterStatsHub will not work with this device.

Can anyone please recommend some software that will interrogate and monitor the line stats from the above hub, please?

Many thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 14

I use one of these business smart hubs in bridge mode so it acts as modem only with my own router handling the PPPOE connection.

I am not aware of any software that can interrogate the smart hub for stats, would like to know if this is possible though!  

I do check connection stats occasionally by plugging a laptop direct to the hub.  You do need to assign an IP address manually on the laptop though as I believe DHCP isn't active while in bridge mode.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 10 of 14

Can't understand the need to have a BT hub in modem mode when the HG612 is more than up to the task. I would never waste money on ISP kit.