cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jameswilby5
Message 1 of 13

Fibre Optic Problems!

Hi there,

For the past 4 years since I moved into my house I have been limited to the ancient ADSL speeds which limit me to about 5Mbps download and 0.3Mbps upload. A couple of months ago I got a letter through the door saying fibre optic was now available in my area. After immediately loginng onto the BT website it became apparent that my house was not able to recieve it but that everyone else in my close was. There are 9 houses in my close and I am right in the middle of it, which seems a bit strange. BT offers everybody else up to 36Mb but I can only get up to 7Mb.

After ringing BT and only being told that it wasn't available I tried to find out if I was connected to a different cabinet to everybody else but couldn't find the information anywhere! Does anyone know how to find out if there is more than one cabinet in my postcode and the current status of the cabinet?

Any help would be greately appreciated,

James

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Fibre Optic Problems!

use this link and enter your phone number in to it if FTTC is seen as available then you can place an order there can be multiple cabinets in a postcode area so the post code check is inaccurate http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.TelephoneNumberOutput
jameswilby5
Message 3 of 13

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately because I am not a BT customer at the moment it won't return any results! 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 13

Use the address checker then http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.addressOutput
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
jameswilby5
Message 5 of 13

So I used the address checker and it says that the entire close is using Cabinet 17 and FTTC and ADSL are available. However whilst everyone else's FTTC is up to 27mb mine is only up to 9mb. Any ideas?

Thanks,

James

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 13

You're the furthest from the cab?
If not, I'll try again 🙂
jameswilby5
Message 7 of 13

Well I wouldn't think I was. I am literally in the middle of the close so don't see how I could be. Could there be something wrong with the line from the road to my house? 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 13

Yes, could be that - maybe you have an aluminium line?
How do your ADSL speeds compare to everyone else?
If not, I'll try again 🙂
jameswilby5
Message 9 of 13

Is there anyway to tell what my line is made of, or if there is a fault? According to the checker the ADSL speeds are the same.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 13

The estimate is based on the details that Openreach has about your line like length, condition, construction.

Given the ADSL estimate is much the same I would guess the main thing would be the length. Or there could be a database error.
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings