cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 91 of 101

Re: How can Openreach ignore a new build with around 500 properties in Zone 2 London?

Unfortunately your problem is becoming more common. New developments often have their own new cabinet installed. In areas which have already been planned or rolled out with fibre before the cabinet is installed it's a case of 'missing the boat' - Openreach are too busy rolling out new exchanges to come back and fill in gaps in existing exchange coverage. It may be years before this happens.

Alternatively as the cabinet is installed just for the development it may not have sufficient lines in it to merit the investment in a DSLAM. All fibre rollout by Openreach so far is commercially funded and there is no 'social imperative' to serve everyone* unless there is a business case. And that means a large number of lines in the cab. OK your development has 500 properties but do all the lines go through the same cab?

Of course there is the 'double whammy' in Virgin media areas that they very rarely extend their cable network (although they do have a 'cable my street' initiative if you can drum up interest from your neighbours). Problem there is often that the development streets are not adopted for a few years so they can't get permission to dig them up.

Finally have you considered a 4G / WiFi hotspot from EE? If you are in a strong signal area it may give you the speed you are looking for (albeit at a price).

It's a bit ironic that these new developments are often aimed at people on medium to high income who are those most wanting fast broadband connections for work etc. We have a development near me that failed to be ready in time for the fibre rollout earlier this year and it didn't get a DSLAM, despite the houses being packed with tech features and advertised as being CAT-5e flood wired throughout!

* You may be lucky however as London is one of several cities that is receiving government funding to make it 'super connected': http://www.culture.gov.uk/news/news_stories/8931.aspx so despite your doubts Lewisham may be able to get hold of funds to subsidise your cab. You need to start lobbying your councillors to get your area on the list - but it won't happen tomorrow.

0 Ratings
angelandnick
Aspiring Contributor
Message 92 of 101

DERBY exchange has INFINITY BROADBAND !!! NOT ME !!! I LIVE 1 MILE AWAY WHY?

Rubbish I live 1 mile away from DERBY in CHESTER GREEN ,

I WANT INFINITY FROM BT 

I WOULD SIGN UP TODAY !!! BUT KEEPS CHANGING THE DATE FROM MAR 2012 to JUN 2012

to SEPT 2012 to DEC 2012 to now MAR 2013 WHY

O WHY ?

COME ON  BT PLEASE SORT IT OUT ! 

MY POST CODE IS DE1 3RX 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 93 of 101

Re: DERBY exchange has INFINITY BROADBAND !!! NOT ME !!! I LIVE 1 MILE AWAY WHY?

your posts do not go to BT as this is a customer forum.

I have suffered the changes of date just like you and the worst is even if your exchange is upgraded for infinity there is no certainty that your cabinet will be upgraded.

As all work is done at exchange by wholesale and then openreach laying cable and not your ISP BT Retail you just have to sit and wait like the rest of us myself included

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
girllovinmusic
Beginner
Message 94 of 101

BT infinty being put back again 4 times since 31st of december 2011

I am relly anoyed with bt because i have being looking forward to getting bt infinty installed but everytime i check it gets put back every 3 months and i am not happy my postcode is WF11 8BQ and it is available in other of knottingley west yorkshire please tell me whats going on

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 95 of 101

Re: BT infinty being put back again 4 times since 31st of december 2011

Whilst it's not totally clear as the same happened to me, just constant delays. Here are mostly the reasons as to what causes delays http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/the-big-build/not-straightforward.aspx

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 96 of 101

Re: BT infinty being put back again 4 times since 31st of december 2011

That's quite normal. The same happened to us. Keep looking, because when it does come, it may well come before the last of the postponed dates. Also, in our case it disappeared completely with no date for a few days just before availability. And you may well not get notified even if you have registered interest.
0 Ratings
darrenp
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 101

Open reach says Yes, Infinity says No

Hello

My exchange (Shirley west midlands) says now accepting orders on open reach website.

However BT infinity checker for my telephone number says 

Sorry, you're not currently able to get BT Infinity. This may be because your area has not been enabled yet, or your individual line does not support super-fast broadband. Register your interest and we'll let you know if this changes.

Does this mean our cabinet was left out?

How do I find out more?

thanks

0 Ratings
NewtronStar
Expert
Message 14 of 101

Re: Open reach says Yes, Infinity says No

Hi what do you get if you use this link. http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

0 Ratings
fortytwo
Contributor
Message 15 of 101

An unofficial checker which gives a bit more than yay/nay - http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre/checker.php

0 Ratings
darrenp
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 101

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 512Kbps. However, due to the length of your line, an engineer visit may be required, who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 1Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 750Kbps and 2.5Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 1.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 3.5Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 500Kbps and downstream line speed of 1.5Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 1Mbps and 3.5Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the service you wish to purchase.

Thank you for your interest.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.

Note: If you already have a Broadband service enabled on this line and you want to switch service providers, you will need to contact both your current provider and your new provider to get your service changed over new and existing service provider to have this service transferred.

0 Ratings