Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
harveye
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Fibre To The Premises - Uploading Causes Internet Connection To Be Lost

Go to solution

Hi

I am experiencing severe connection issues more or less every time I upload files to One Drive using either one of my laptops. This happens whether the laptop is connected to my BTHub6A via WiFi or Ethernet cable.

By severe connection issues, I mean that my internet connection crashes. Usually, I have two laptops, a mobile phone and an Amazon Echo device connected to the hub. The consequences of the crash are varied. Both laptops will always report "No Internet" (although, sometimes, the exclamation mark doesn't appear, even though the internet is clearly not working.) Often, when I test the mobile phone, Chrome will not load the Google Homepage via WiFi, although on the very odd occasion it will (??) Alexa (the Echo device - bless her) will also sometimes battle on and keep streaming music through all the madness (though, how, when everything else reports that there is no internet, I do not know??) Usually, throughout all this, the hub light will remain blue. Sometimes the connection will re-establish itself, but, more often than not, I have to turn the hub off and on again.

Other general information that may/may not be relevant:

I have Fibre To The Premises; the basic Superfast Plan - approx 30MB/s download and 9MB/s upload. Typically, for the time that the upload does occur, I am only getting upload speeds of about 1.3MB/s (surely, not "choking" the internet and not the speed I am paying for.)

I am unhappy that my fibre cable from the DP/manifold enters a grey box on our shared building so far away from the access point to my premises that another grey box was required in the run (manifold to grey box to grey box to hub.) Effectively, my run is split twice, which must negatively impact the quality/strength of my signal. A neighbour with a similar length run from the DP/manifold to his premises had the cable from the DP/manifold run right round to his access point before entering a grey box, from which the required cable was connected to his hub (manifold to grey box to hub.)

There are several posts that have reported the same type of issue, although these seem to relate to a BTHub5. It appears that all have been fixed by a BT technical representative making adjustments to configuration settings on the BT side of things. The relevant posts are:

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/Uploading-causes-drop/td-p/1763993

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/Uploading-causing-connection-drop/td-p/1766295

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/Uploading-causes-drop-2/td-p/1766833

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/Uploads-cause-connection-to-drop-repeatedly/m-p/17779...

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/Uploading-Causing-Connection-Drop/td-p/1796848

I am hoping that:

a) based on resolutions to similar problems, someone will make the necessary configuration changes

b) if this is a recurring problem, someone from BT will take the necessary action to remedy it and spare others the same grief

c) there is a solution to my low upload speed

d) BT will reconsider the cable run to my access point and replace it with one cable, direct from the manifold (as was done for my neighbour.)

I tried to include the full Event Log between one termination and the next, but, unfortunately, I went over the 20,000 character limit. I can't see a way to attach it separately...

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
CJT80
Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Fibre To The Premises - Uploading Causes Internet Connection To Be Lost

Go to solution

@harveye

Welcome to the Community. 

Just to advise BT Moderators have no access to FTTP accounts.  They are managed via the FTTP Team. 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

The issue will need to be raised with the Ultrafast team as a fault, They should be able to get it investigated for you.

The Ultrafast/FTTP team are the only ones trained to be able to fix it

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

@harveye wrote:

I am unhappy that my fibre cable from the DP/manifold enters a grey box on our shared building so far away from the access point to my premises that another grey box was required in the run (manifold to grey box to grey box to hub.) Effectively, my run is split twice, which must negatively impact the quality/strength of my signal. A neighbour with a similar length run from the DP/manifold to his premises had the cable from the DP/manifold run right round to his access point before entering a grey box, from which the required cable was connected to his hub (manifold to grey box to hub.)

It will have absolutely no impact on signal level.Fibre splices or connectorised joins are virtually lossless.

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

The best thing you can do is dithch the "NotSoSmart" hub and get yourself a decent router that won't have the problem and give you more control over your network.

You are paying a premium for your connection but using a "One size fits all" solution.

FTTP can use any "cable" router, ie. one that doesn't need an internal modem. There are a plethora out there every one better than what you have and will suit and can be configured for your individual needs and pocket.

harveye
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

First, many thanks for the feedback I have had from all the above members - much appreciated! Especially reassuring to know that multiple splits in the cable run to my hub will not affect the signal quality.

I believe I might have solved the issue:

While enduring the usual internet crash on both laptops as a result of uploading, Alexa and my mobile were happily still working via WiFi  through my BTHub6 - it still baffles me!!?? By sheer luck, I decided to investigate the "DNS_probe_finished_bad_config" error, which was appearing when I was attempting to load "www.google.co.uk" via Chrome. One of the suggested fixes is to change the DNS server used by your device to steer it away from the default BT DNS server used by BTHub6 (you can't change the default BT DNS server the BTHub6 uses - typical BT!!)

As a start, I used Google's DNS server - Primary: 8.8.8.8  Secondary: 8.8.4.4. Low and behold, Chrome loaded "www.google.co.uk". Spurred on by a little spark of hope, I tried an upload. I don't want to tempt fate, but, bingo! - it worked without issue. During the day, I uploaded around 6GB at varying intervals without any problem. Overnight, I set my laptop the task of uploading a 33GB video file. In the morning it was all but done. Either this is a massive coincidence, or changing the DNS server has fixed the issue, though, I confess, I still upload with a sense of impending doom...

I think I will explore the option of a different "cable" router - these are also referred to as VDSL - is that right? Any recommendations for something to use with FTTP?

Before I mark this post as resolved, does anyone have any thoughts or further insights to add?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

A VDSL router has an internal modem so is a combo router. A "Cable" router is just a router and nothing else.

As you are on FTTP the ONT is the modem so all you need is a router.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

This is one option TP-Link AC1750 Dual Band Wireless Gigabit Cable Router, 2 USB, 2.0 Ports, Support Guest Network, UK Plug (Archer C7) 

0 Ratings
harveye
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Well, having now uploaded nearly 100GB of video files to One Drive without incident (one early download experienced a "wobble" or two, but recovered) I have to suggest, with a degree of confidence, that changing the DNS server on my laptop to bypass the DNS server dictated by the BTHub6 has resolved my issue. The procedure for changing the DNS server used by your laptop/MAC is easily found via a Google Search. For a Windows 10 laptop:

Right click on your Ethernet/Wireless icon in the taskbar. Select "Open Network & Internet Settings". Under "Network & Internet" select "Ethernet" or "WiFi", as applicable, from the options on the left side. Under "Related Settings" on the right side select "Change Adapter Options".  A Control Panel window will open, right click on your active internet connection and select "Properties". In the dialogue box that opens, highlight "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click "Properties" button below. Under the "General" tab, change the option from "Obtain DNS server address automatically" to "Use the following DNS server addresses". Input your choice of primary and secondary DNS server. For example, Google is 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4  Click OK and the job is done.

0 Ratings