Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
curtisuk
Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Fibre broadband speed decreased

Go to solution

Have always had fibre broadband with 50mb speeds and this has run spot on without any speed issues.

Recently had a faulty hub that kept resetting and loosing connection. Now this equipment has been sorted only seeing download on wired speed tests of around 35mb.

Has my internet connection been banded due to the frequent resets from a faulty hub?

My modem currently shows an attainable rate of 62248 but my line rate is 39999.

SNR is 20.5 dB and Attenuation is 12.6 dB.

Unsure if any of these figures help or if they indicate there is still an issue?

Will this slower speed fix itself over time or does it require some intervention on BT's end? 

If I need to wait how long do I need to leave it before escalating further?

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Fibre broadband speed decreased

Go to solution

Yes, DLM has banded your line due to the previous instability. Give it a couple of weeks and DLM shoukld restore your speed if your line remains stable. Don't be tempted to restart your hub in an attempt to resync at a higher speed, it will just make things worse.

0 Ratings
curtisuk
Contributor
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply,

Will the speed increase happen itself if connection remains stable or will I need to reboot router for a resync in 2 weeks or so?

0 Ratings
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

The speed increase will happen automatically, no need to reboot the hub.

0 Ratings
curtisuk
Contributor
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

Still on slower rate but there are developments.

An openreach engineer has visited and confirmed no issues on the line.

It turns out after 4 years of BT Infinity 55mb service for some reason I have been changed to a 40/10 package instead of 55/10. Engineer did a DLM reset on my line and data rate wouldn't budge from 40/10 despite syncing at 70. My bills show BT Superfast Fibre 1 but for some reason it looks to have been changed to the Superfast Essential package speeds. 

Made a few calls to BT about this and takes around 25 mins to get an operator to understand what is going on every time I call but they also agree on this issue after they themselves get passed around multiple departments while I'm on hold!  

Finally someone has taken a bit of ownership to assist in sorting this out and has promised a call back at the end of the month as apparently nothing can be done as I have a BT TV cease order waiting to be completed and only one can be done at a time.

No one can seem to explain why this has happened, I assumed it was a slightly faulty hub that caused the drop in speed. Maybe it was the cease order of BT TV, who knows??? Fingers crossed for the end of the month!

0 Ratings
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

At a guess I'd say things got screwed up somehow with the cease order. If you get no joy at the end of the month post back and I'll get a mod to have  look and sort it out for you.

curtisuk
Contributor
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

BT TV cease order has been completed, however still no joy in sorting this issue out, can a mod please investigate for me and try to reach a resolution.

Short and quick version:

I have been on fibre broadband 55/10 speed for 4 years, no issues at all and speed always good. 

Sometime at end of December speeds seemed to drop overnight. 

Openreach engineer visit confirmed line has no issues, DLM reset carried out just in case. He did show me on his device  that I am on a 40/10 product.

As mentioned before this seems to tie in with me cancelling my BT TV service, may or may not be the cause.

exchange.JPGrouterstats.JPG

0 Ratings
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

I've asked a mod to drop in and take a look.

NeilO
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution

Hi @curtisuk, I've sent you a private message so you can get in touch and we'll be happy to take a look. 

0 Ratings
curtisuk
Contributor
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

0 Ratings