Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
santa_nethy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Fibre broadband unavailable

Hi,

We currently have BT Infinity 1, but we are moving house to B620NE and BT say that fibre broadband isn't available... but our soon to be new neighbours have BT Infinity and we are connected to the same exchange. It is a copper wire to from the house to the exchange but they still pick up speeds of 35mbps, and putting in their address to the fibre broadband checker it confirms it. I've put the postcode of there other neighbours into the checker, and it's not available for them either.

I spoke to BT today and was on and off hold for quite a while, as the lady tried different sytems to see if it could be ordered... to no avail. She said if it's not available to order it's not available order. One of her colleagues said the cabinet could be full? But this doesn't help us.

Either way, I ended up going for standard broadband (6.5-14mbps) and they waived the £130 connection fee. But I'm going to cancel. I don't think we should sign up for a service that we don't want, when we're pretty sure if somebody went to the cabinet they'd find that we could get BT Infinity.

How do I get BT to check the cabinet before we commit to a contract. Is there any chance that if I kept our new order, when the engineer went to the cabinet he'd find that fibre/BT Infinity is available for us?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Fibre broadband unavailable

A post code check is not very accurate. It can cover more than one cabinet.

The most accurate check is using a telephone number. The next most accurate is an address check.

With Infinity it is not the exchange that counts, it is what cabinet you are connected to. The house you are moving to is not necessarily connected to the same cabinet as your neighbours.

It may be that if you get a telephone line in, it will then show that you can get Infinity and you would be able to upgrade from standard broadband.

If you can not get Infinity from BT you will not be able to get it from any other provider because they all use the same infrastructure.

If you use this checker it will tell what cabinet you are on and what services it can receive.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

If it does not show a cabinet number it will be because you are on an Exchange Only(EO) line. This means you can not get Infinity because you are not connected to a cabinet, instead you are connected directly to the exchange.

As I previously said, use a BT  phone number for the property if you know it. If you don't have a BT number use the address checker. It is more accurate than the post code checker which can cover more than one cabinet.

0 Ratings
santa_nethy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Thanks for the info.

Although I've been given a phone number, it isn't connected yet so isn't on that website.

I've done the address check though and my server is cabinet 4, as is the neighbour so we are on the same cabinet... any further ideas?

Thanks for your help

0 Ratings
santa_nethy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Re: Fibre broadband available next door, but not eitherside (including ours...)... help!

Here you go...

Capture.PNG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

Re: Fibre broadband available next door, but not eitherside (including ours...)... help!

You are to far from your cabinet to get infinity however you should be able to order faster broadband with fibre as BT cannot sell infinity at speeds less than 15Mbps
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

Looks like you'd get similar speeds to that of ADSL, which is usually cheaper.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
santa_nethy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Hi John,

Thanks for your comment. If that's the case, how do you explain the houses either side of the house that can get BT Infinity, both showing as not being able to get it? Surely the house on the other side of them would be closer to the exchange?

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Catherine

0 Ratings
santa_nethy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Also, is there any possibility that once our phone line is connected, I go on the speed checker and fibre speeds may be available?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

@santa_nethy wrote:
Also, is there any possibility that once our phone line is connected, I go on the speed checker and fibre speeds may be available?

Quite possible, if there is a database error. Other forum members have mentioned about infill cabinets, so its best if you see if they have any comments.

0 Ratings
santa_nethy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

What's an infill cabinet? Thanks!
0 Ratings